In 2016, IDH executed the first year of its 2020 strategic plan. We invest in Sustainable Development Goals by driving innovative business models for sustainable trade in 11 global supply chains and 11 landscapes. We are on track in our effort to transform markets through changing business practices, improving sector governance and improving field level sustainability. Key results in 2016 include:
- 50 million euro of private sector investments, leveraging public funding to IDH for sustainable development with a 1:2 ratio
- 8,4 out of 10 score for the representation and commitment of key stakeholders in multi-stakeholder coalitions we convene both at global and landscape level
- 1,8 million farmers and workers were trained in sustainable production practices
- 4,9 million hectares have been brought under sustainable land use
- our efforts contributed to 10 million MT of sustainably produced production
IDH’s innovations strive to create cost efficiency, to allow for scale. We built a pipeline with promising blended finance projects in different sectors and jurisdictional areas that will potentially increase return on investment considerably compared to traditional grant financing.
In 2016 we struck a ground-breaking smallholder finance deal in Côte d’Ivoire with a leading chocolate manufacturer, IFC and local financial institutions. If successful, up to 100,000 cocoa farmers will have access to finance for obtaining productivity packages that can improve their income, intensify land use and improve nutrition. Our proof of concept is to show that this innovation works and will be incorporated in the business practices of the industry and the financial sector.
In Liberia, Indonesia and Brazil we have developed inclusive public-private green growth plans in jurisdictions with deforestation policies. In the coming years we will make these landscapes eligible for investments through a de-risking fund, that is being incorporated by IDH as announced in early 2017 at WEF Davos by IDH, Unilever and the Norwegian prime minister.
We are extremely grateful to our Dutch, Swiss, Danish and Norwegian donors and to our program partners for their ongoing trust and support. Delivering real, on-the-ground impact at scale can only be done if we join forces. We look forward to continue driving sustainability from niche to norm together!
IDH Executive Board