Who is IDH
IDH Sustainable Trade Initiative convenes companies, CSOs, governments, and others in public-private partnerships. Together we drive the joint design, co-funding, and prototyping of new economically viable approaches to realize green & inclusive growth at scale in commodity sectors and sourcing areas. Our approaches are designed to drive sustainability from niche to norm in mainstream markets, delivering impact on Sustainable Development Goals. We focus on creating a positive impact on deforestation, living incomes and living wages, working conditions, toxic loading and gender. IDH is supported by multiple European governments (Dutch, Swiss, Danish, Norwegian) and we work together with over 500 companies, CSOs, financial institutions, producer organizations and governments in 11 sectors and 11 landscapes in over 40 countries worldwide. IDH is a dynamic and demanding organization of about 190 staff members and consultants at the HQ in Utrecht, the Netherlands and several overseas offices and hubs in South America, Asia and Africa.
To strengthen its team in Brazil, IDH is recruiting a: Territorial Manager
This role is based in Cuiabá, Mato Grosso, Brazil
IDH is currently looking for a staff member who can support the activities in Mato Grosso State, where IDH implements with other partners the development of the state long term strategy, PCI (Produce, Conserve, Include). The position will support IDH Brazil Landscape Program in the implementation of its initiatives with focus on territorial management linked to Public Policies. Responsibilities will include design, deliver, monitor and report on the partnerships with the Mato Grosso State Government, specific in the SEMA (State Environment Secretary) program with focus on CAR validation, PRA and CRA (Land swap) and PMS (Sustainable Municipalities State Program) program related to land tenure regularization; and support on technical intel for IDH landscape strategy. The position will work at the municipality level of the program to ensure effective implementation of the work on the ground. The position will liaise with IDH Brazil and HQ teams, and will report to the Country Director IDH Brazil, in Brazil.
- Design, deliver, monitor and report on SEMA support program (ToRs, trainings, contracts);
- Design, deliver, monitor and report on Land Tenure Regularisation (PMS) partnership;
- Design and implement the programs for CAR analysis and qualification, PRADA, CRA (land swap) and Land Tenure Regularisation, at Compacts level;
- Coordination of Impact Research (ToR, contracting, implementing);
- Support Territorial Intel+ Markets Strategy for IDH.
- Evaluate land use issues and opportunities, using geo-spatial data systems with the best technology available;
- Research municipal, state and federal environmental policies for implantation of Forest Code and its mechanisms (CAR, PRA, CRA, etc.);
- Analyse reforestation strategies, propose costs benchmarking, investments opportunities (supported by Senior Investment Manager);
- Proactively maintain partners and stakeholder relationships;
- Provide technical feedback on environmental policy and greenhouse gas emissions view and trends on the territories for public and private agents;
- Consult with interest groups, including businesses, governments, and special interest groups;
- Research environmental trends, policies, and legislation;
- Make recommendations to decision-makers that balance environmental conservation with social and economic considerations;
- Identifying policy gaps and opportunities, as well as tracking emerging issues;
- Design and write, coordinate team on high quality papers, concept notes, proposals, in English;
- Travel 75% of the working time.
- 10 years experience on public policies implementation;
- At least, 5 years experience on conservation agenda and environmental management;
- Familiarity with institutional / sector policies that include companies and civil society in Brazil and internationally;
- Oversee consultant contracts with municipal and state agencies;
- Coordinate and serve on teams for natural resources conservation, using the best available technologies;
- Develop short- and long-range plans for land use management and conservation;
- Lead interdisciplinary teams and task forces for projects;
- Working with geo-spatial data analysis and systems for land use issues;
- Forest Code implementation, including the CAR and PRA developments.
Agronomist, environment engineer, forest engineer, biologist, geologist, geographer, economist, administrator, public policy manager, other correlated professions.
- Innovative thinking in strategy across various projects;
- Work well in an interdisciplinary environment with other technicians, scientists, and market agents;
- Communicating well in general and on the phone and in meetings with clients, colleagues, government officials, stakeholders;
- Work with a range of professionals to help businesses follow sustainable environmental practices that balance their needs with those of the ecosystems in which they operate;
- Commit to best practices in work and research.
This position will be based in Cuiabá.
Preferred starting time: second half of June, 2019
IDH offers a challenging position with opportunities for growth within an enthusiastic and passionate team. As an IDH team member you can contribute to positive global change. The position is for 40 hours per week. The successful applicant will be offered a consultancy contract for one year with competitive remuneration, but with the possibility to extend.
For more information about IDH, please visit www.idhtrade.org. For questions about this position, please contact Daniela Mariuzzo at email@example.com.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply (motivation letter and 2-page resume in English) by using the following hyperlink: :https://idhtrade.inhroffice.com/en/job/133111/apply
We encourage applicants to respond as soon as possible, latest by 5th of June 2019.
Is this not your dream job? Sharing this vacancy with your network is highly appreciated.
IDH is committed to a diverse workforce that is representative, at all our job levels.