To strengthen its work in Cameroon, IDH is recruiting a:
Senior Program Manager Cocoa & Landscapes
this role is based in Yaoundé
Cameroon’s plan is to reach a cocoa production level of 600,000 tons by 2030. If not well planned, the nation’s ambition to lift the cocoa production and increase the promotion of cocoa may create unsustainable pressure on Cameroon’s forests. Out of tradition farmers are used to planting cocoa under forest, which means that over time, cocoa production may come at the detriment of the primary forests. Production and protection can become a win-win situation if local stakeholders are engaged and included in the management of natural resources.
In Cameroon, IDH focuses on a twofold approach to promote sustainable cocoa production and ensure the cocoa sector contributes to forest protection and social inclusion:
- At national level: the Roadmap to Deforestation-Free Cocoa is a public-private-civil society partnership that aims to address cocoa-related deforestation and forest degradation in Cameroon, through the design and implementation of new policy instruments, guidelines and action plans.
- At landscape level: the Green Cocoa Landscape Program (GCLP), developed in collaboration with WWF, will support the creation of multi-stakeholder platforms at municipality level, that will define and coordinate implementation of action plans to foster sustainable cocoa production, protect and restore forests, and enhance community livelihoods. The municipalities selected for the GCLP will also be the preferred landscapes to pilot the policy reforms and actions designed through the Roadmap to Deforestation-Free Cocoa.
IDH is looking for an organized, service-oriented, self-motivated, team player with proven leadership and facilitation skills and expertise in cocoa sustainability and forest conservation. You are both analytical and practical, able to work independently and learn fast. Working in a result-oriented, flexible and hands-on manner, you lead programs thoroughly, and are able to facilitate highly politicized and sensitive discussions.
The Senior Program Manager will lead IDH’s strategy and activities in Cameroon, with support from the Senior Program Officer, and will be focusing on the following activities:
1. The Roadmap to Deforestation-Free Cocoa;
2. The development of IDH’s Landscape program in Cameroon (Green Cocoa Landscape Program), together with partners;
3. Identification and development of new fundraising opportunities;
4. Creation of new partnerships in Cameroon.
The Senior Program Manager, based in Yaoundé, Cameroon, reports to the Program Director Cocoa of IDH, and manages the Senior Program Officer Cocoa & Landscapes, Cameroon. The Senior Program Manager is part of the IDH Team and will closely collaborate on strategic matters with the cocoa and landscape program teams in the Netherlands.
1. Roadmap to Deforestation-Free Cocoa
The Senior Program Manager will be the strategic lead for the Roadmap in Cameroon. Working closely with the Senior Program Officer, (s)he will oversee the whole initiative, and hold stakeholders accountable for the engagement and the execution of the Framework of Action, in close collaboration with the respective government authorities and industry. This includes:
- Oversee and provide strategic guidance to the governance of the Roadmap for the delivery on the Framework for Action;
- Hold parties accountable to deliver on targets and milestones as agreed in the Framework for Action. This will be done in particular, through:
o Providing strategic and technical guidance to the governance bodies, to ensure they deliver on their plans;
o Managing stakeholders at high-level, ensuring that they have full ownership of the process and are empowered to drive it;
o Supporting the government fundraising activities, to ensure a timeline delivery on the actions identified in the Framework for Action;
o Maneuvering the political agenda for the Roadmap to keep on being high in the government set of priorities;
o Building and strengthening partnerships with key stakeholders (public sector, industry and civil society organizations) to ensure that the Initiative is building on existing programs and creates “additionality”.
- With support and guidance from IDH Senior Management in the Netherlands, design and implement the strategy for the Roadmap to be self-sustaining in the long run (“exit strategy”).
2. Development of the Green Cocoa Landscape Program
The Senior Program Manager will lead the development of the GCLP strategy and plans in Cameroon, in close collaboration with public, private and civil society partners, and with guidance from IDH Senior Management in the Netherlands. The strategy and plans will need to be aligned with the Roadmap.
The Senior Program Manager will also take a leading role in building landscape-level coalitions and developing new strategic partnerships with industry, the government authorities and civil society needed for the program development.
3. Fundraising to support new program development in Cameroon
The Senior Program Manager will lead on fundraising and resource mobilization and contribute to development of IDH fundraising proposals in Cameroon, to support program development and implementation.
4. Representation of IDH in Cameroon
Though hosted by IITA in Cameroon, IDH should be visible and known by partners from industry, Embassies, donors and civil society as well as by the local government authorities, etc. Therefore, the Senior Program Manager will represent IDH vis a vis the above various stakeholders and make sure IDH is visible at the various meetings related to its areas of activities in Cameroon.
• Working and thinking at Master degree level, in agribusiness or related area preferred;
• 10-15 years working experience in an international business environment;
• Deep knowledge of and network within the cocoa sector;
• Knowledge of international trade and agro-commodity supply chains;
• Proven experience with stakeholder management and facilitation in an international environment;
• Experience with the private sector, preferably in supply chains and sustainability;
• Experience in leading (sector and/or sustainability) coalitions;
• Experience in international development;
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially a good working knowledge of Excel, Word and PowerPoint;
• Excellent spoken and written communication skills in English and French.
• Outstanding analytical capabilities and strategic reflection capabilities;
• Proven leadership and diplomatic skills;
• Excellent presentation and communication skills, in writing and verbally;
• Pro-active-, service- and detail-oriented, analytical, structured and business minded;
• Highly flexible able to take initiative and work independently;
• People management skills;
• Organized and ability to have a helicopter view of what need to be done at which time.
IDH offers a challenging position with opportunities for growth within an enthusiastic and passionate team. As an IDH team member you can contribute to positive global change. The position is for 40 hours per week. The successful applicant will initially be offered a temporary consultancy contract with competitive remuneration, but with the possibility to extend.
Candidates are based in Cameroon or should have permission to work in Cameroon.
For more information about IDH, please visit www.idhsustainabletrade.com. For questions about this position, please contact Jonas Mva Mva (Program Director Cocoa) at email@example.com
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply (motivation letter, 2-page resume and a 2-pager on your vision for sustainable cocoa in Cameroon) by using the following hyperlink: https://idhtrade.inhroffice.com/en/job/129616/apply
We encourage applicants to respond as soon as possible, latest by Friday 26 April, 2019. The first round of interviews will be held in Yaoundé from April 29th to May 10th.