Are you motivated to apply your critical analytical and relationship skills to improve the cocoa production in Cameroon? We are looking for a Country Manager Cameroon who can be an ambassador and spokesperson for IDH within the country, as well as contributing insights and advice on sustainable trade within the cocoa production. Are you a senior leader with great coalition and stakeholder skills? Then we are looking for you
The Country Manager Cameroon will lead a dynamic and motivated team, facilitate partnerships with stakeholders from the public, private and civil society sectors at senior level, and manage IDH’s operations.
In Cameroon, IDH focuses on a twofold approach to promote sustainable cocoa production and ensure the cocoa sector contributes to forest protection and social inclusion:
- At national level: the Roadmap to Deforestation-free Cocoa is a public-private-civil society partnership that aims to end cocoa-related deforestation and forest degradation in Cameroon, through the design and implementation of policy instruments, guidelines and action plans.
- At landscape level: the Green Commodity Landscape Program (GCLP), developed in collaboration with WWF, supports the creation of multi-stakeholder platforms at municipality level, that will define and coordinate implementation of action plans to foster sustainable cocoa production, protect and restore forests, and enhance community livelihoods. The municipalities selected for the GCLP are also the preferred landscapes to pilot the policy reforms and actions designed through the Roadmap to Deforestation-Free Cocoa.
Additionally, IDH engages in relevant programs that contribute to the Roadmap to Deforestation-free Cocoa, such as:
- The Guichet Producteurs, which aims to make government subsidies for the distribution of inputs, the supply of equipment and the provision of infrastructure for production directly available to producers in 08 production basins.
- CocoaSoils, which aims to deploy Integrated Soil Fertility Management (ISFM) approaches.
As Country Manager, you will lead IDH’s strategy and activities in Cameroon, ensuring IDH delivers on its target and reports to its donors and stakeholders on achievements.
The Country Manager areas of work cover:
- Strategy: Lead IDH’s strategy in Cameroon, ensuring the coherence of the different programs designed and implemented in Cameroon;
- Implementation: Accountable for the achievement of the program targets, and for operational excellence;
- People Management: Motivational leader, who nurtures motivation and loyalty of the IDH team in Cameroon;
- Fundraising & Partnerships: Develop partnerships, identify fundraising opportunities and lead development of fundraising proposals;
- Communication: Ensure IDH is visible in Cameroon and internationally, and represent IDH in Cameroon.
- Oversee country operations, including HR, legal compliance, financial management and administration and staff health and safety.
The IDH Cameroon team is composed of one Program Manager, one Program Officer and a Program Coordinator.
You will be reporting to the Cocoa Program & Africa Landscape Director based in Cameroon.
Who you are
To be successful in this position you should be the kind of person that is constantly working on the improvement of processes, improvement of yourself and improvement of your team. You are great at networking and levelling with different stakeholders. This can be within government, private sector or small holder farmers. You are able to generate enthusiasm with your explanation based on good business context. This makes it easy for you to be a strong leader for you team, but also have a good working relationship with staff oversees. With your knowledge and experience you are able to solve issues within a challenging environment. With this all you are not afraid of getting your hands dirty. The job requires an active and hands-on role in implementation next to management.
What you bring
- Over 15 years working experience in an international business environment, with proven experience in in leading (sector and/or sustainability) coalitions and stakeholder management;
- Education: at least Master’s degree in agribusiness or related area;
- Excellent knowledge of international trade and agri-commodity supply chains with experience in the cocoa sector and an active business network in Cameroon;
- Excellent network in Cameroon with high-level government officials and experience with private sector;
- Proven experience in team management;
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills in both English and French;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word and PowerPoint).
Who we are
IDH brings companies, CSOs, governments and others in public-private partnerships together to realize green & inclusive growth at scale in commodity sectors and sourcing areas. Our approaches are designed to drive sustainability from niche to norm in mainstream markets, delivering impact on Sustainable Development Goals. We focus on creating positive impact on deforestation, living incomes and living wages, working conditions, toxic loading and gender. In this we are supported by multiple European governments, including our institutional donors: BUZA, SECO and DANIDA. IDH is a company that works together with over 600 companies, CSOs, financial institutions, producer organizations and governments in 12 sectors and 12 landscapes in over 40 countries worldwide.
What we offer
IDH offers a dynamic international environment and an enthusiastic and passionate team. As an IDH team member you can contribute to positive global change. The position is for 32-40 hours per week, initially for one year, with the intention to extend. We offer a competitive salary, depending on seniority and experience.
Candidates should have access and a valid work permit to work in Cameroon.
Please feel free to contact Jonas Mva Mva (Cocoa Program & Africa Landscapes Director) at firstname.lastname@example.org with any content related questions about this position. Would you like to apply? We encourage applicants to respond as soon as possible, latest by the 31st of July using the following hyperlink: https://idhtrade.inhroffice.com/en/job/196639/apply