IDH requires the support of a Data Analyst to analyze datasets and glean insights to help us learn how to improve the livelihoods of smallholder farmers and improve the sustainability of supply chains. You will be working with a variety of datasets including farmer surveys, business model outputs (such as Revenues and Expenses) and data provided by our reporting partners.
As we grow our data team and capability, we are moving to more centralized storage and distribution systems. You will be working with data systems that have grown organically over time and are now in the next stage of evolution as we strengthen the strategic value of data within IDH. This is an exciting time to join a team who are laying the foundations of a longer-term data strategy, where we learn while we are doing. Data will come in a variety of shapes and formats, so you need to have a sense of adventure and enjoy the process of cleaning & preparing data as part of the analytical process. You will not always be presented with a clean, tidy dataset that is ready for analysis. The core of your analysis will be centered around our Service Delivery Model and Technical Assistance project data: answering the questions and testing hypotheses encompassed in our robust Learning Framework.
Within this role you are reporting to the Farmfit Manager of IDH in Utrecht.
Core job functions are:
- Analyse Farmfit data against Farmfit pre-defined hypotheses.
- Porting ad-hoc analysis done by others in Tableau or Excel to R/Rmarkdown scripts and documenting the procedure and findings.
- Setting up scripted analyses and reporting.
- Highlighting where analytical learning in one area could benefit another area of our work.
- Help colleagues and domain experts assess the data they have, or need to collect, in order to answer their specific questions
- Contribute to the establishment of our data and analysis pipeline.
- Visualize and communicate analysis results.
- Evaluate external data sources for incorporation into our analyses.
- Assist with maintaining a good level of data quality.
What you bring
- A university degree and background in development economics, econometrics, finance, international business or economics
- 2+ years of relevant work experience in an international organization
- Good familiarity with R. We are moving towards reproducible analysis, data cleaning and sharing code. You will be able to learn along with us, but you will need to be comfortable with finding solutions as you start developing your analysis scripts.
- Familiarity with SQL. Much of our existing data is being ported to cloud database storage. You will need to have some idea of how to query the data and create the views you might need for specific analyses.
- Ability to learn and to describe solutions to others
- Comfortable with identifying and establishing systems or procedures that you need to do great work and deliver value to IDH
- Knowledge (and interest in) of sustainability, international trade, supply chains and/or agri-commodities
- Highly flexible; able to take initiative
- Fluent in English, additional languages are a plus
- Good communicator and team player.
What we offer