To strengthen its work in Ethiopia, IDH is recruiting a:
this role is based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
The Program Coordinator-Ethiopia will be responsible for coordinating and directing the efforts of the team across the Landscapes, Fresh & Ingredients and Apparel programs, in Ethiopia. IDH has been present and operating in Ethiopia for a few years and has resources on the ground and at the HQ.
IDH is implementing innovative programs in Ethiopia, working with Landscapes- sustainable land and water management, Industrial Parks, sustainable production of fruits & vegetable and living income aiming to initiate investments on small holder livelihood and sustainable land use. As part of this, IDH also engages with the Government of Ethiopia at a number of levels and convenes national platforms at a sector level.
As Program Coordinator, you will ensure that the resources at hand are being best utilized and IDH work across programs are closely aligned to optimize impact of these programs, working closely with private sector and government key stakeholders to widen IDH’s program portfolios in Ethiopia.
The Program Coordinator will also:
- Further strengthen IDH’s program implementation in Ethiopia, delivering on existing partnerships and forging new partnerships and program development beyond 2020;
- Build on the existing work and help define a strategy for IDH in Ethiopia;
- Represent IDH in-country, and dedicate significant time to building and managing stakeholder relationships, and
- Oversee country operations, including HR, Legal, Finance and Program management and Administration.
The IDH Ethiopia team is currently composed of four dedicated staff members and growing.
IDH is looking for a highly proactive, positive, organised, business minded team player, with an active and practical approach, who is persistent and focused on solving problems, and maintaining a good balance between the long-term goals and short-term demands.
As Program Coordinator you will be responsible for three key pillars in your scope of work:
1. Overall management of the IDH Programs in Ethiopia (50%)
In Ethiopia, IDH is implementing the following programs:
- Sustainable Landscapes program: The sustainable landscape program in Lake Ziway catchment has been active in the central rift valley of Ethiopia since 2015 with a public private partnership established and a number of joint projects and studies under implementation through co-investment by IDH and the partners. A new integrated landscape development program is also under scoping in a part of Lake Tana catchment
- Fresh & Ingredients Program-aims to mobilize demand from retailers and manufacturers to accelerate responsible production practices at large scale.In this regard, the Flower sustainability initiative is active in the different floriculture clusters in Ethiopia and implemented in collaboration with private sector partners
- Apparel Program: IDH is currently also scoping a program on sustainable industrialization particularly in and around selected industry parks. Potential thematic areas may include Higg index implementation, Safe Mobility, development of Ecoscapes around Industrial parks which have a focus on Textiles & Footwear.
The Program Coordinator will drive implementation of these programs and report on progress to IDH Ethiopia country representative and IDH HQ.
2. Coordination of country operations and representation of IDH in Ethiopia (25%)
As described above IDH is engaged in Ethiopia in 3 different IDH verticals, and there is a significant opportunity to leverage the individual program resources to secure that they are not working in parallel towards the same agenda and that the approach to the key stakeholders in country is representative of all the work that is being done in country.
IDH should be visible and known by partners from industry, embassies, donors and civil society as well as by the local government authorities. Therefore, the Program Coordinator will represent IDH vis a vis the above various stakeholders and make sure IDH is visible at the various meetings related to its areas of activities. Especially building and maintaining close relationships with key government partners will be an important component of this work.
The Program Coordinator will also, in close coordination with IDH Netherlands, ensure sounds financial management and legal and fiscal compliance required for IDH to operate in Ethiopia.
3. Program Development of other IDH programs in Ethiopia (25%)
The Program Coordinator Ethiopia will take a lead role in developing new strategic partnerships with the private sector, the government authorities and civil society, and will be in charge of strategic program development beyond 2020 and will also be responsible for local fundraising in support of the country ambitions in the country.
- Excellent relationship builder, communicator and team player;
- Working and thinking at master’s degree level, in agribusiness or related field;
- A minimum of 10 years working experience in an international business environment, experience dealing with high level government and industry representatives in Africa;
- Previous experience in a similar position, preferably in Africa, as final responsible in program management, including financial management, administration, health and safely and legal compliance;
- Knowledge of sustainability issues and the business case for investing in sustainability.
- Understanding of principles of equitable land and water resources governance/land rights etc are a plus;
- Experience in multi-stakeholder processes & highly proactiveness in maintaining/creating partnerships with key private, public and CSO actors locally and globally
- Passion and commitment to lead but also learn from the progressive IDH team
- Fluent in English and Amharic is a must while knowledge of other local languages is a plus
IDH offers a challenging position with opportunities for growth within an enthusiastic and passionate team. As an IDH team member you can contribute to positive global change.
The position is a full-time position. The successful applicant will initially be offered a one and a half year consultancy contract, with the possibility to extend. This role is based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia with frequent travel to all IDH program areas.
For more information about IDH, please visit www.idhsustainabletrade.com. For questions about this position, please contact Mr. Jordy van Honk, IDH Program Director African Landscapes (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Ms. Mahlet S. Bekele (email@example.com), IDH Ethiopia country representative.
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to apply (motivation letter and 2-page resume in English) before 30 July 2019 by using the following hyperlink: https://idhtrade.inhroffice.com/en/job/134387/apply
Candidates are based in Ethiopia or should be eligible to obtain permission to work in Ethiopia. IDH will not be in a position to help secure the required work documentation for Ethiopia.