To support the partnership around sustainable manufacturing in Ethiopia, IDH is recruiting a:
Senior Program Manager Eco Industrial Park
this role is based in Addis Ababa / Hawassa, Ethiopia
Eco Industrial Park Senior Program Manager (EIP SPM) is responsible for providing overall leadership and management of the sustainable manufacturing program of IDH in Ethiopia and its partnership with public and private partners in the region in the manufacturing/apparel sector.
The year 2019 will be dedicated to developing the IDH Ethiopia platform for sustainable manufacturing to provide an “on the ground” supportive secretariat leadership for the Partnership for Growth (P4G) partnership with the Ministry of Environment, Forestry, and Climate Change (MEFCC), Ethiopian Investment Committee (EIC), and Industrial Park Development Cooperation (IPDC). S/he is expected to drive relationships with a diverse group of stakeholders, including private sector companies, government officials, donors and international organizations, to enable joint projects and activities.
The platform should over team lead to the creation of a Center of excellence (CoE), a sustainable production center managed by the EIP SPM, that analyses and develops the business case for investment and settlement in Eco Industrial Parks
S/he is responsible for effectively delivering high quality services to the participating organizations per the agreed objectives. Next to this the EIP SPM will ensure private and public-sector support and beyond 2019 funding for these roles.
EIP SPM will work closely with the IDH sustainable landscape program team in Ethiopia to enhance the role and representation of IDH in the country.
The IDH team both in Ethiopia and the Netherlands will support the IDH EIP SPM.
- IDH representation: Represent IDH to all relevant stakeholders in the setup of IDH Ethiopia platform as a mission effective, neutral, credible and financial viable organization
- Strategy and planning: Work closely with key stakeholders to develop the strategic goals and objectives of the new partnership on Eco Industrial Park development. Take a leadership role to convene the key stakeholders, organize meetings, set agenda, circulate minutes and ensure follow up.
- Governance: Responsible for establishing the overall governance framework for the platform.
- Investment counter: Support the setup of an investment counter to initiate and scale projects that deliver on the overarching mission of the platform. Coordinate the development of a strategy for the partnership including identification of new projects, their aims and objectives, work plans and responsibilities of the partners.
- Center of excellence: Managing the analysis of business cases for investments and services in and to Eco Industrial Parks and factories. Pressure testing solutions to sustainability challenges in parks and scaling and disseminating successes. Identification of partners for Coe – both implementors, standard holders, and other stakeholders.
- New partners: Engage with new potential partners who have a role to play in the development of (apparel) industry in the country, including companies, NGOs, donors, researchers and others.
- Financial management and fundraising: Responsible for business development, including identifying potential funders, developing proposals for those different funders and developing a sustainable funding structure for the Secretariat. Also responsible for managing a financial plan and overseeing the annual budget.
- Recruit and develop team: As and when the team of IDH Ethiopia working on (Eco) Industrial Parks needs to grow and the required funding is secured, recruit and train staff and establish the required processes, in close collaboration with the present IDH Ethiopia Landscape team.
- Representation and relationship building: Represent IDH in national and international events. Cultivate a strong relationship with key stakeholders
- Coordinate with the government: Work closely with the EIC and MEFCC and other relevant Ministries to ensure strong engagement and leadership from Ministers and their teams, including their support on cross-cutting policy and investment.
- Communication: Oversee the communication plan for the platform and the local “IDH branding”. Develop communication material to share information on and promote the efforts and outcomes, which includes developing brochures, website and reports.
- Master’s Degree level, ideally in relevant disciplines like development economics, industrial development, business management, social sciences;
- At least 8-10 years’ experience in the scope of work of IDH and the manufacturing sector;
- Authority to convene both private sector and government most senior leadership;
- Neutrality to the extent that there is no factual or perceived conflict of interest with key stakeholder’s interests;
- Track record in raising funding for sustainable development work;
- Demonstrated success of effectively leading change and organizational growth through strategic planning, delivering of results and financial management;
- Strong and effective verbal and written communication skills in Amharic and English on levels of the different stakeholders, additional languages a plus;
- Good knowledge of the structure and way of working of the Ethiopian government;
- Computer literate with experience using Microsoft Office.
Next to these criteria, the following traits are expected of applicants:
- Strong relationship management and building, influencing and networking skills.
- Knowledge of sustainability, working conditions and safety standards in international value chains.
- Good team player and listener; comfortable in a fast-changing environment;
- Track record in process management and change management.
- System thinker, able to see the inter linkages in the bigger picture;
- Humility and patience to work in a multi stakeholder/partnership setting;
- Able to see challenges from different perspective.
IDH offers a challenging position with opportunities for growth within an enthusiastic and passionate team. As an IDH team member you can contribute to positive global change. The position is for 40 hours (5 days) per week. The successful applicant will be offered a consultancy contract for one year, but with the possibility to extend. This role is based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia or near Hawassa, Ethiopia. Frequent travel to meetings in the capital as well as to large industrial parks and key infrastructure attributes are to be expected, as well as potential international travel within East-Africa and beyond.
The Eco Industrial Park Senior Program Manager will be reporting to Pramit Chanda
For more information about IDH, please visit www.idhsustainabletrade.com. For questions about this position, please contact Sibbe Krol (Senior Program Manager Apparel, Netherlands) at firstname.lastname@example.org or alternatively contact Mahlet Shebabaw Bekele (Program Manager IDH in Ethiopia) at email@example.com or
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their CV/resume to Iris van Oort (HR Officer) at firstname.lastname@example.org before December 19th, 2018.