Do you get energy from helping companies create Deforestation and Conversion Free solutions for their palm oil supply chain sustainability issues? From convening the market end of this commodity sector in Europe and, strengthening the link between demand and supply of sustainable commodities?
And are you looking for a job that gives you the chance to lead our European palm markets work and sector collaboration together with both private and public sector players? Then apply for our Program Manager -European Palm Oil Markets position to lead our market insight and European sector relations, manage program activities for our Palm Oil Markets program and the NI-SCOPS program (National Initiatives – Sustainable and Climate-Smart Oil Palm Smallholders).
As the Program Manager – European Palm Oil Markets, you are responsible for coordinating the global palm oil program, convening the European sector, further strengthening, and developing new partnerships and providing sustainable palm oil market insights. You will be responsible for the strategy, the management and the implementation of the European Palm Oil markets program of the Business Unit Landscapes and its underlying projects, including partnership management. Furthermore, you will take a leading role in the coordination of the Government-to-Government program NI-SCOPS, funded by the Dutch Government, and implemented together with partner organization Solidaridad. The NI-SCOPS program supports climate-smart oil palm production in Asia and Africa and its uptake by markets in Europe, India, and China. More information about NI-SCOPS can be found here.
The position reports to the Director Markets & SourceUp. The Program Manager – European Palm Oil Markets works with IDH’s palm oil teams around the world, and has the following key responsibilities:
- Market engagement
- Channel EU and frontrunner business support towards preferential and inclusive sourcing from landscapes at risk of conversion.
- Convening of public-private partnerships at European level and assist landscape colleagues with convening at national level, to incite shared governance of targets on sustainable sourcing & import of forest-risk commodities.
- Global insights: engage with private sector and other stakeholders to maintain strategic relationships and develop market insights for IDH.
- Influence multistakeholder platforms of which IDH is a member to leverage support for landscape approaches.
- Mapping potential companies or groups of companies and schedule meetings/calls to introduce them to the PPI Jurisdictional approach or, for those familiar with the landscape approaches, to present concrete engagement options.
- NI-SCOPS: Support the Program Director(s) in managing external stakeholder relations, represent IDH in stakeholder meetings, and take responsibility for managing NI-SCOPS donor relations and reporting.
- Program development
- Lead the further shaping of the European Palm Oil markets strategy around Forest Positive principles and IDH’s focus on achieving better jobs, better incomes, and a better environment in close collaboration with IDH colleagues.
- Strategy alignment: ensure the strategy of the palm oil landscapes work stays in line with the overall IDH strategy and developments in the sector.
- Co-Lead with other markets colleagues a new report to align and promote IDHs landscape work and goals using landscapes data.
- NI-SCOPS: Support the shaping of Phase II of the program strategy, led by the Global Program Director, and in close collaboration with IDH colleagues in the NI-SCOPS program countries and key external program partners.
- NI-SCOPS: Support fundraising efforts for the program
- Program operational management
- Internal coordination: communicate and align where needed on overall progress, milestones, finances, stakeholder engagement and other key information among internal stakeholders in the palm oil program. Liaising with Legal, Finance, M&E and HR departments and BU Landscapes colleagues.
- NI-SCOPS: Lead or support the planning, organisation and coordination of NI-SCOPS specific events and workshops as required
- NI-SCOPS: Coordinate the relations and implementing activities with partner organisation (e.g. Solidaridad) and keep abreast of the stakeholder relations in the government-to- government agreements between palm oil exporting and importing countries
- NI-SCOPS: Manage program planning, monitoring, and reporting internally (country teams) and externally (donor, and key partner organisations).
- NI-SCOPS: Contracting and performance management of external implementers and consultants
Who you are
You have a strong belief in the environmental, economic and social benefits of sustainable supply chain development. You are a positive and outgoing team player, combining a hands-on management style with diplomatic skills. You are able to translate high-level objectives and strategies into concrete action plans and provide practical guidance and market insights to teams in Africa and Asia. You are an outgoing person and enjoy managing relations with external stakeholders, palm oil buyers, government agencies and other NGOs. You have a good understanding of supply chain dynamics and government-to-government relations.
What you bring
- Working and thinking at Master’s degree level
- Minimum of 8 years of international working experience in supply chain sustainability within the agricultural commodities sector.
- Proven knowledge and understanding of global sustainability issues in the Palm Oil sector
- Experience in managing (sector, buyer and/or sustainability) coalitions.
- Proven project/program management and coordination, analytical, conceptual and delivery skills.
- Team player who works seamlessly with landscape colleagues around the world to progress IDH’s goals for the palm oil sector
- Experience in maintaining donor relations, leadership and financial management is considered an advantage.
- Experience of researching, assessing and synthesising market trends and insights in supply chains
- Skilled communicator (fluent in English), strong writing skills, excellent negotiation, diplomacy and lobbying skills to interact with senior business, government and CSO leaders.
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills to interact with international and culturally diverse colleagues, partners, and stakeholders remotely.
- Willingness to travel.
Who we are
IDH puts people, planet, and progress at the heart of trade by leveraging the power of markets to create better jobs, better incomes, a better environment, and gender equity for all. To catalyse change at scale, IDH innovates, convenes, and invests in inclusive and sustainable solutions that enable businesses to create value for people and planet, while improving their own performance. To create the greatest impact in the shortest amount of time, IDH focuses on empowering people within corporations, the global financial sector and governments that have the most influence over value chains. Headquartered in the Netherlands, IDH has around 300 employees globally, operating in 20 landscapes and 12 commodities and sourcing regions with over 1000 public and private partners. In 13 years of operation, IDH has generated over 390 M in private sector investment and support for new business models that create better jobs, better incomes, a better environment, and gender equity for all.
IDH’s work is made possible thanks to the funding and trust of a variety of public and private donors, among which the Governments of Netherlands, Denmark, and other government donors and private foundations.
For more information, go to http://www.idhsustainabletrade.com or follow @IDHTrade on Twitter and LinkedIn.
What we offer
IDH offers a dynamic international environment and an enthusiastic and passionate team. As an IDH team member you can contribute to positive global change. IDH offers a challenging position for 40 hours a week with opportunities for growth within an enthusiastic and passionate team. The successful applicant will initially be offered a one-year contract, with the aim for it to become a permanent position. The position is fulltime (40 hours per week), and we offer a gross monthly salary between €3276 and €4095 (based on a 40 hour week), along with great fringe benefits including a good pension scheme.
Please feel free to contact Ayana Chatterjee (email@example.com ) with any question about this position.
Would you like to apply? Just send us your motivation and 2-page resume in English by using the following hyperlink: https://idhtrade.inhroffice.com/en/job/246822/apply
We encourage applicants to respond as soon as possible, 7th October, September, 2022.
This position is based in the Netherlands. Candidates should have a valid working permit for the Netherlands.