Are you passionate about transforming agriculture value chains to deliver better economic outcomes for smallholder farmers? Are you a strategic thinker that can combine technical expertise with excellent communication skills and an entrepreneurial mindset? Are you motivated to apply your critical analytical skills to translate data, evidence and sector trends into practical insights and knowledge products? Are you motivated to accelerate multi-stakeholders’ action in the agriculture value chains? We are looking for an Innovation Manager (Better Income) to strengthen our transformative Better Income agenda.
This is a global role based out of IDH’s India office. You will be part of IDH’s Strategy and Insights Business unit based out of IDH HQ (Utrecht, The Netherlands). The Strategy and Insights unit at IDH is responsible for thought-leadership, strategic advisory, knowledge management and development of tools and solutions across IDH impact themes including Better Income.
Managing technical topics of IDH’s thematic work on improving incomes for small-holder farmers in the global south by supporting thought leadership, evidence based-decision making and advisory on various topics relating to smallholder incomes for both internal and external audiences. This position leads the development and adoption of data-driven tools and solutions, co-leading on synthesis of knowledge products (evidence-based research) and leading internal capacity building through advisory, trainings etc all towards supporting both IDH teams and the private sector to close living income gaps and improve income resilience for small-holder farmers. The Living Income Roadmap is at the forefront of the IDH Better Income agenda, and this role is integral to its success.
You report to the Senior Innovation Manager – Better Income and will be part of the Strategy & Insights team.
In sum, your role includes:
- Being the methodology expert and network coordinator for the topic of Better Income and Living Income
- Advisory to internal IDH teams and external stakeholders on topics relating to Living Income and Better Income agenda;
- Lead development and adoption of tools and solutions;
- Contribute to knowledge management agenda of the Better Income team;
- Support the capacity building of IDH staff on the topic of Better Income;
- Lead research on relevant topics related to farmer incomes; aggregate learnings and translate this into practical recommendations;
- Carry out deep dives into strategies that drive a living/better income for smallholder farmers;
- Engage with intelligence centre, global director living income, commodity leads and other impact teams at IDH to collect information required and align work and data sets;
- Engage with corporates and their research partners on research carried out and evidence collected.
- Provide data-driven insights and intelligence to corporates joining the living income initiative;
- Lead on the writing of diverse knowledge products and the dissemination of knowledge;
- Organize and facilitate internal and external learning sessions;
- Provide inputs on IDH thought leadership on farmer data;
- Review knowledge products produced by colleagues;
- Operational support for the Better Income team (Reporting, coordination and contracting)
Who you are
- Ability to process large amounts of information and convert into actionable advice while often being sector and geography agnostic. Often there is a lack of data and case studies.
- Varied stakeholder management of a range of internal and external parties.
- Stakeholders lack the willingness to move. Living income is in a delicate phase, companies are willing but not able to take enough to close gaps. Global commodity chains are complex and opaque with a range of actors with different motivations.
- Managing technical advisory can be challenging as different teams in IDH are in different stages of their journey in improving farmer incomes
- Oversee each part of Better Income work at IDH: Advising BUs, working on internal capacity building for internal teams, Developing and adopting LI roadmap thinking and learnings for the larger topic of farmer incomes
What you bring
- Working and thinking at master’s degrees level or higher; preferably in field of Agriculture, social sciences and related fields;
- 7+ years of relevant working experience preferably in a role as consultant or practitioner in areas relating to small-holder farming systems and agricultural value chains; experience in African value chains is a plus;
- Experience in sustainability specifically tackling social issues across supply chains from the private sector perspective;
- Experience in leading and conducting research and managing consultants;
- Experience in knowledge management and capacity building;
- Proven track record in collaboration in cross organizational self-steering teams;
- Strong communication capabilities at multiple levels (corporate, academic, public sector);
- Strong, spoken, written and visual communication skills; Fluency in English;
- Affinity to work with data; using evidence and data for decision making; Prior experience in M&E is a plus.
We offer you
IDH offers a challenging position with opportunities for growth within an enthusiastic and passionate team. As an IDH team member, you can contribute to positive global change. This is a full-time position.
The successful applicant will be offered an employment contract (6 months’ probationary period) with IDH India. This role is based in Gurgaon / Bangalore, India. Candidates must be willing to travel domestic and international for about 10% – 15% in a year.
Preferred joining date 1st February 24.
This role is based at Gurgaon/Bangalore, India. We offer a competitive salary (depending on seniority and experience). Interested and qualified candidates are invited to send a CV and application letter (in English) to email@example.com .
Apply before 24 December, 2023 via – https://idhtrade.inhroffice.com/en/job/294015
Who we are
IDH seeks to transform markets through collaborative innovation, convening and investment in inclusive and sustainable solutions that enable businesses to create value for people and planet. To achieve this, IDH brings together coalitions of committed stakeholders from across global value chains towards joint visions and program agendas for sustainable trade.
IDH’s international presence extends to multiple regions and landscapes, facilitated by a network of around 400 staff including experts who are embedded in key agricultural, manufacturing, apparel and commodity value chains. In 15 years of operation, IDH has mobilized private sector investment and support to test and innovate new business models designed to create better jobs, better incomes, a better environment, and gender equity for all.
For more information, go to http://www.idhtrade.org or follow @IDHTrade on Twitter and LinkedIn.