IDH (HQ in the Netherlands) creates public-private partnerships to develop value chains and drive market transformation with focus on the inclusion of smallholders and SMEs into global supply chains, and sustainable management of landscapes and natural resources.
We seek to deliver scalable and economically viable impact on the Sustainable Development Goals through partnerships with over 500 private companies including global brands and retailers. Operating in 12 sectors (including cocoa, palm oil), IDH co-invests, implements projects on agricultural value chains, works to commercialize SME’s/farmers and facilitates market linkages in over 40 countries globally.
IDH also drives innovative finance solutions, where through the provision of TA and de-risking capital, IDH mobilises investments into economically viable and sustainable business models for green and inclusive growth.
To strengthen its work in Liberia, IDH is recruiting a:
Country Manager Liberia
A senior management position based in Monrovia
The Country Manager Liberia will lead a dynamic and motivated team, managing IDH’s operations in Liberia, where IDH is established as an INGO.
IDH is implementing innovative programs in Liberia, aiming to initiate investments in the palm oil and cocoa producing communities, linked to long term incentives for forest protection and land restoration, and food security and land rights. As part of this, we also in partnership with the Government of Liberia convene two national platforms, for the cocoa and the oil pam sector.
As Country Manager, you will drive impact of these programs, working closely with private sector and government key stakeholders, reporting to the Program Director based in the Netherlands.
The Country Manager will also:
- Further strengthen IDH’s program implementation in Liberia, delivering on existing partnerships and forging new partnerships and program development beyond 2020;
- Represent IDH in-country, and dedicate significant time to building and managing stakeholder relationships, taking over from the current Country Coordinator; and
- Oversee country operations, including HR, legal compliance, financial management and administration and staff health and safety.
The IDH Liberia team is composed of three Program Managers, two Program Officers and operational support staff, and counts with offices in Monrovia and Foya City.
IDH is looking for a positive, organised, business minded team player, with an active and practical approach, who is persistent and focused on solving problems, and maintain a good balance between the long-term goals and short-term demands
As Country Manager you will be responsible for three key pillars in your scope of work:
- Overall management of the IDH Landscape Programs and the Cocoa program in Liberia (60%)
In Liberia, IDH is implementing three innovative landscape programmes, in the Western and South East oil palm dominated landscapes, and in North West of the country.
In the Western and South East landscape, IDH, the Liberian government and palm oil concession holders are collaborating to develop an inclusive community oil palm outgrower investment program, also as an incentive for communities to protect their community forests.
IDH’s role includes mobilizing investment in community oil palm and forest protection, and support programs around safeguarding food security, land rights, and FPIC-based community decision making.
In the restoration landscape, in the North West of Liberia, in Foya district (Lofa county) the agro-ecological system is threatened by the expansion of savannah grassland. These elephant grass plains inhibit traditional agricultural practices and put the local population under threat from wildfires and heavy winds. IDH mobilises a partnership that aims to replant the unnatural savannah land with tree crops to restore the agro-ecological system and strengthen the local economy and community livelihoods.
IDH also in partnership with the Government of Liberia convenes two national platforms, for the cocoa and the oil pam sector, which convene on a quarterly basis.
The Country Manager will drive implementation of these programs and report on progress.
- Coordination of country operations and representation of IDH in Liberia (20%)
IDH should be visible and known by partners from industry, Embassies, donors and civil society as well as by the local government authorities. Therefore, the Country Manager will represent IDH vis a vis the above various stakeholders and make sure IDH is visible at the various meetings related to its areas of activities. Especially building and maintaining close relationships with key government partners will be an important component of this work.
The Country Manager will also, in close coordination with IDH Netherlands, ensure sounds financial management and legal and fiscal compliance with the regulations for INGO registration of IDH in Liberia, including:
- Manage financial administration including cash management of INGO IDH Liberia, supported by the finance manager in Liberia, and reporting on this to IDH Netherlands;
- Ensure compliance of statutory filings and (tax) returns, including payroll obligations;
- Ensure compliance to statutory (governmental) reporting and renewal of INGO license.
- Program Development of other IDH programs in Liberia (20%)
IDH has a number of initiatives and programs located in the West African region. The Country Manager Liberia will take a leading role in developing new strategic partnerships with the private sector, the government authorities and civil society, and will be in charge of strategic program development beyond 2020 and will support the required fund-raising.
- Excellent relationship builder, communicator and team player;
- Working and thinking at master’s degree level, in agribusiness or related field;
- A minimum of 10 years working experience in an international business environment, experience dealing with high level government and industry representatives in Africa;
- Previous experience in a similar position, preferably in Africa, as final responsible in program management, including financial management, administration, health and safely and legal compliance;
- Knowledge of sustainability issues in agricultural supply chains, including deforestation, preferably cocoa and palm oil sector.
- Understanding of forest conservation challenges and approaches in Africa, and understanding of principles of land governance, land rights and FPIC processes are a plus;
- Experience in multi-stakeholder processes;
- Fluent in English; French is a plus
- Analytical, structured, business minded with an active and practical approach, where you are positive, persistent and focused on solving problems. You maintain a good balance between the long-term goals and short-term demands.
IDH offers a challenging position with opportunities for growth within an enthusiastic and passionate team. As an IDH team member you can contribute to positive global change. The position is a full-time position. The successful applicant will initially be offered a one and a halve year consultancy contract, with the possibility to extend. This role is based in Monrovia, Liberia.
For more information about IDH, please visit www.idhsustainabletrade.com. For questions about this position, please contact Lizzy van der Wal (Country Coordinator Liberia) at email@example.com or Nienke Stam (Senior Program Manager) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply (motivation letter and 2-page resume in English) by using the following hyperlink: https://idhtrade.inhroffice.com/en/job/126718/apply
We encourage applicants to respond as soon as possible, latest by 31 March 2019.
Candidates are based in Liberia or should be eligible to obtain permission to work in Liberia.