IDH Farmfit Fund, Business Support and Intelligence Center
The 500 M smallholders farmers globally are deprived from essential services to properly develop their farming systems and increase household incomes. In Africa, regional food security for the rapidly growing population crucially depends on the successful integration of smallholder production in regional value chains. This requires companies, civil society and government to innovate together, develop business models and forge new supply chain collaborations. IDH Farmfit Business Support drives this transformation by supporting companies and financial institutions to analyze, innovate, and scale their smallholder business models. Drawing on the lessons from analyzing and supporting 100+ companies, the Farmfit Intelligence Center generates strategic insights into best practices and key success factors in smallholder inclusion. Farmfit Business Support and Intelligence Center are Funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and DFID. To take these smallholder business models to scale, the Farmfit Fund has been launched. This is a 100 M dollar fund – and a 1 billion dollar guarantee – that invests in companies and banks for smallholder finance, with the objective to lift at least 3 M farmers out of poverty and make farmer finance a mainstream investment class.
In line with the recent launch of FarmFit, IDH is recruiting a Data Analyst, based in Utrecht, the Netherlands.
As Data Analyst, you will use your experience in data analysis to support FarmFit and its partners with key strategic insights on the design and improvement of Service Delivery Models for smallholder farmers. FarmFit will analyze the Service Delivery Models (SDMs) of 100+ companies using our consistent, data-driven SDM methodology to measure the performance of these models on more than 150 KPIs. The data generated in these analyses will be fed into a central database. Your job is to perform quantitative and qualitative analyses on individual SDMs as well as performing analyses using the aggregate data in our database.
At the level of individual SDMs, you will build financial models yielding profit & loss projections for both companies and smallholder farmers involved in the SDM, as well as running deep dive analyses on specific innovations (e.g. mechanization). Special attention will be given to certain cross-cutting topics such as Gender, Climate resilience and Nutrition. Ultimately, you support company decision making on smallholder business models by quantifying their impact, return on investment, the costs and benefits of different options in designing an SDM and analyzing the sensitivity of the business models for external shocks.
At the aggregate level, you will support the FarmFit Data Specialist to distill overall insights from the data collected on 100+ individual SDMs. Such a database and analysis will enable us to provide answers to key questions such as “how to drive down costs in serving smallholders and increasing impact simultaneously” or “under which conditions can financial service provision to smallholder farmers be profitable”. The insights generated in your analyses will be the heart of the Intelligence Center of FarmFit (https://www.idhsustainabletrade.com/farmfit-intelligence/).
You are part of a larger FarmFit team in Utrecht, consisting of a FarmFit Manager Utrecht, a Data Specialist, SDM Managers and Innovation Managers. You are reporting to the FarmFit Manager Utrecht and will work together closely with the Data Specialist for aggregate insights and the SDM Managers for individual SDM analyses.
Core job functions are:
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative SDM analyses of individual companies, including profit and loss projections for smallholders and companies. This will include regular travel to the field operations of individual companies.
- Conduct deep dive quantitative analyses on specific innovation in individual companies, e.g. the business case for income diversification services.
- Support the Data Specialist in running analyses on the SDM database, distilling key insights on the conditions under which SDMs can be impactful, sustainable, efficient and scalable.
- Support the Data Specialist in developing the SDM database into a publicly accessible, web-based portal enabling companies to analyze and benchmark the performance of their SDMs.
- Support FarmFit with analyses on the overall impact of the FarmFit program, primarily focusing on improvement of smallholder and company profitability across FarmFit interventions.
Required Qualifications and Education
- Sc. in economics, business, econometrics, or similar;
- 3+ years of relevant working experience, as consultant and/or analyst;
- Outstanding modelling and data analysis skills;
- Outstanding command of MS Excel;
- Outstanding skills to visualize key insights in Powerpoint;
- Conceptual and analytical strength;
Additional desired Qualifications
- Solid understanding of (financial) business models;
- Understanding of smallholder-based agricultural value chains (from a private sector perspective)
- Result-oriented, self-propelling and self-organized, eye for detail;
- Excellent oral and written communications and presentation skills. Fluency in English.
IDH offers a challenging position within an enthusiastic and passionate team. As an IDH team member you can contribute to positive global change. This is a full-time position, initially for one year, with the intention to extend. We offer a competitive salary (depending on seniority and experience) and solid fringe benefits, including a good pension scheme.
For questions about this position, please contact Bernd Isenberg, FarmFit Manager Utrecht at: +31621431276.
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to send an application (motivation letter and 2-page resume in English) to Annemarie Woudstra, HR Officer, at email@example.com, mentioning “HQ-Data Analyst” in the subject line. We encourage applicants to respond as soon as possible, latest by 13 January 2019. Candidates should be EU nationals or have permission to work in the Netherlands.