Mainstreaming of sustainable trade requires companies, civil society and government to innovate together, develop new business models and forge new supply chain collaborations. The IDH FarmFit Team supports this transformation drive by organizing strategic research regarding business viability, prototyping innovations, promoting learning with the program partners and taking the business to scale with innovative financial deals. In line with the recent launch of FarmFit, IDH is recruiting a Data Specialist, based in Utrecht, the Netherlands.
As Data Specialist, you will use your extensive experience in data analysis and smallholder agricultural value chains to provide IDH Farmfit and its partners with key strategic insights on the design and how to improve the performance of Service Delivery Models for smallholder farmers.
Farmfit will analyze the Service Delivery Models (SDMs) of 100+ companies using our consistent, data-driven SDM methodology to measure the performance of these models on more than 150 KPIs. The data generated in these analyses will be fed into a central database. Your job is to set up this database in such a way that it enables Farmfit to identify trends and best performance benchmarks in smallholder inclusion.
Such a database and analysis will enable us to provide answers to questions such as “how to drive down costs in serving smallholders and increasing impact simultaneously” or “under which conditions can financial service provision to smallholder farmers be profitable”. The insights generated in your analyses will be the heart of the Intelligence Center of Farmfit.
Furthermore, with your excellent modelling skills you will support the Farmfit team in the further upgrading of the SDM methodology. On an ad-hoc basis you will support the SDM analysts in running additional deep dive analyses with company and financial service provider partners.
You are part of a larger Farmfit team in Utrecht, consisting of a Farmfit Manager Utrecht, a data analyst (working directly with the data specialist), engagement managers and innovation managers. You are reporting to the Farmfit Manager Utrecht and will work together closely with the Farmfit Kenya team.
Core job functions are:
- Set-up the Farmfit database and develop it into a public online portal enabling partners to use our analytical tools.
- Lead Farmfit’s benchmarking activities, pro-actively distil trends and insights from the database and translate these insights into actionable insights that can be effectively communicated
- Drawing on the insights from your analysis, engage in high-level strategic discussions with senior management of private and public organizations on the development of sustainable smallholder business models.
- Together with the Farmfit Manager Utrecht, further develop the SDM methodology and lead the adjustment of the (online) analytical tools
- Together with the Farmfit Technology Manager, drive innovation on management information systems for smallholder farmer business models.
- For selected cases, conduct quantitative SDM analyses of individual companies.
Required Qualifications and Education
- Sc. in economics, business, econometrics, or similar;
- 5+ years of relevant working experience, as consultant and/or analyst;
- Outstanding modelling and data analysis skills and experience in setting up and managing data-bases (for both internal and external usage)
- Deep understanding of (financial) business models;
- Thorough understanding of smallholder-based agricultural value chains (from a private sector perspective), especially in Africa
- Conceptual and analytical strength, creative and innovation focused;
- Interpersonal effective relationship-builder, able to inspire and mobilize;
- Result-oriented, self-propelling and self-organized, eye for detail;
- Excellent oral and written communications and presentation skills. Fluency in English.
IDH offers a challenging position within an enthusiastic and passionate team. As an IDH team member you can contribute to positive global change. For more information about IDH, please visit www.idhsustainabletrade.com.
This is a full-time position, initially for one year, with the intention to extend. We offer a competitive salary (depending on seniority and experience) and solid fringe benefits, including a good pension scheme.
For questions about this position, please contact Bernd Isenberg, Farmfit Manager Utrecht at: +31621431276.
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to send an application (motivation letter and 2-page resume in English) to Annemarie Woudstra, HR Officer, at email@example.com, mentioning “HQ-Data Specialist” in the subject line. We encourage applicants to respond as soon as possible, latest by 13 January 2019. Candidates should be EU nationals or have permission to work in the Netherlands.