Are you ready to join an organisation where you can make an extraordinary impact? Are you looking for a position where you get the chance to be innovating and creative and co-direct our global programs? Do you want to be part of the discussion and get to work towards sustainable trade every day with various stakeholders, such as global companies, producers, governments, investors and other partners? IDH has an excellent opportunity for a Program Director Coffee to support our Coffee team. We are looking for a colleague with gravitas, who can operate at the highest level, and can move and shape the coffee sector.
As Program Director Coffee, you are leading IDH’s work in the coffee sector to accelerate sustainable production and trade. You will develop the strategy and vision of the Coffee program. Together with the Global Director you will also co-lead the further strategic development of the IDH Business Unit Agri-commodities, which comprises the IDH work in cocoa, tea, and coffee.
Capitalizing on the current coffee portfolio and networks of IDH across the world, you drive a strategic agenda which engages partners and stakeholders towards the next stage of sustainable coffee. You establish a key position for IDH to support companies to work towards a living income for smallholder coffee farmers and to address key climate change risks in key coffee producing countries using business drivers and investment tools. To this end you lead your team with strategic knowledge, business-development (pipeline) and program implementation to reach the targets.
You are part of the management team of the business unit Agriculture Commodities Coffee, Cocoa & Tea- Brands, reporting directly to the Global Director of this Business Unit.
The position is a full-time position and requires extensive international travel.
Your key responsibilities
- Leading and developing the Coffee program at a strategic level in the process of design and implementation of the program.
- Convening major players in bringing together alliances in the relevant countries; forging strategic partnerships with governments, private sector players and NGOs.
- Lead the team in the conceptualization and implementation of programs delivering on the global program goals; e.g. realization of living incomes for smallholder farmers, reducing deforestation and accelerating regenerative agricultural practices in the sector.
- Represents IDH on an international level and through this determines the brand of IDH.
- Responsible for the expansion and maintenance of the relevant IDH network and donor base and contributing to the further strategic development of IDH.
- Taking the Lead in proposal development, concept notes, investment committee notes, and program summaries as required to support the growth of the program.
- Sharing knowledge and outcomes externally and internally from the organization through events, congresses and internal white spaces.
Who you are
You are a trustworthy experienced sparring partner for internal colleagues and external stakeholders. As you are an organized and committed team player you can lead teams both through guiding and coaching with your strong interest in the coffee supply chain. You can manage change and gain commitment easily as you are able to connect to different people with different backgrounds. You can make the link between the IDH ideas and the needs of our partners worldwide. Working in a results-oriented, flexible, cooperative and hands-on manner, you are committed to your and your team’s targets. As a program director you are sensitive to all the different countries we operate in and can gain trust with every team in the field.
What you bring
- 10+ years of relevant working experience in a senior role in an agricultural commodity firm and strong background in coffee trade business;
- Deep knowledge and expertise in international commodity supply chains and the reality of developing & emerging economies, preferably knowledge of the coffee trade;
- Experience in managing and leading teams in an international setting;
- Strong senior networks in agricultural commodity companies as well as in governments and multilateral partners, preferably also collaborating with knowledge institutes and civil society;
- Working and thinking at master’s level;
- Fluency in English;
- Willingness to extensively travel internationally, at least 25% of your time.
Who we are
IDH brings companies, CSOs, governments and others in public-private partnerships together to realize green & inclusive growth at scale in commodity sectors and sourcing areas. Our approaches are designed to drive sustainability from niche to norm in mainstream markets, delivering impact on Sustainable Development Goals. We focus on creating positive impact on deforestation, living incomes and living wages, working conditions, toxic loading and gender. In this we are supported by multiple European governments, including our institutional donors: BUZA, SECO and DANIDA. IDH is an organization that works together with over 600 companies, CSOs, financial institutions, producer organizations and governments in 12 sectors and 21 landscapes in over 40 countries worldwide.
What we offer
IDH offers a dynamic international environment and an enthusiastic and passionate team. As an IDH team member you can contribute to positive global change. This is a full-time position and will be based in Utrecht our Head Quarters. We offer a competitive remuneration.
For more information about IDH, please visit www.idhtrade.org. For questions about this position, please contact Jordy van Honk, Global Director Agriculture Commodities, Cocoa/Tea/Coffee, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Would you like to apply? Just send us your motivation and resume in English by using the following hyperlink: https://idhtrade.inhroffice.com/en/job/152643/apply We encourage applicants to respond as soon as possible, latest by 16 February. For more information about IDH, please visit www.idhsustainabletrade.com.