Do you want to contribute to shaping global commodity production systems and trade flows for the benefit of smallholder farmers and the environment? Do you have experience in the palm oil supply chain? And are you ready to apply your hands-on management skills to support IDH’s country teams and maintain and expand relations with external stakeholders? We have a vacancy for Program Manager Palm Oil which may be the perfect opportunity for you.
The Program Manager will be part of the Markets team of the Business Unit Landscapes and report directly to the Program Director Markets. The manager will be responsible for the NI-SCOPS (National Initiatives – Sustainable and Climate-Smart Oil Palm Smallholders) program, funded by the Dutch Government and implemented together with partner organization Solidaridad. The program supports climate-smart oil palm production in Asia and Africa and its uptake by markets in Europe, India and China. More information about NI-SCOPS can be read here.
Key responsibilities include:
- Support the further shaping of the program strategy, led by the Program Director, and in close collaboration with IDH colleagues in the NI-SCOPS program countries and key external program partners. You will, in particular, focus on the market demand strategy in China and India.
- Operationalize the program strategy into country-specific action plans and guide the execution
- Coordinate and keep abreast of the stakeholder relations in the government-to- government agreements between palm oil exporting and importing countries
- Support fundraising for the program
Program operational management
- Manage program planning, monitoring and reporting internally (country teams) and externally (donor, and key partner organizations)
- Program budgeting and financial monitoring, with input from the Finance team
- Contracting and performance management of external implementers and consultants
- Support the Program Director(s) in managing external stakeholder relations, represent IDH in stakeholder meetings, and take responsibility for managing NI-SCOPS donor relations and reporting (3+ donors foreseen)
- Lead or support (depending on the location) the planning, organization and coordination of NI-SCOPS specific events and workshops as required
Who you are
You have a strong belief in the environmental, economic and social benefits of sustainable supply chain development. You are a positive and outgoing team player, combining a hands-on management style with diplomatic skills. You are able to translate high-level objectives and strategies into concrete action plans and provide practical guidance to teams in Africa and Asia on executing these plans. You are an outgoing person and enjoy managing relations with external stakeholders, in particular with government agencies and other NGOs. You have a good understanding of government-to-government relations and influencing tactics.
What you bring
- 5+ years of relevant international work experience.
- Working and thinking at Master’s degree level (MSc., MA, MBA, or equivalent).
- Proven knowledge and understanding of global conservation issues in agriculture, preferably in the palm oil sector and supply chain.
- Proven project/program coordination, analytical, conceptual and delivery skills.
- Skilled communicator (fluent in English), excellent negotiation, diplomacy and lobbying skills to interact with senior business, government and CSO leaders.
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills to manage international and culturally diverse teams remotely.
- Written and verbal proficiency in English. Proficiency in additional languages (Dutch, Mandarin Chinese) is an advantage.
Who we are
IDH brings companies, CSOs, governments and others in public-private partnerships together to realize green & inclusive growth at scale in commodity sectors and sourcing areas. Our approaches are designed to drive sustainability from niche to norm in mainstream markets, delivering impact on Sustainable Development Goals. We focus on creating positive impact on deforestation, living incomes and living wages, working conditions, toxic loading and gender. In this we are supported by multiple European governments, including our institutional donors: BUZA, SECO and DANIDA. IDH is a company that works together with over 600 companies, CSOs, financial institutions, producer organizations and governments in 12 sectors and 12 landscapes in over 40 countries worldwide
What we offer
IDH offers a dynamic international environment and an enthusiastic and passionate team. As an IDH team member you can contribute to positive global change. The position is for 32-40 hours per week. We offer a gross monthly salary between €3300 and € 3800 (based on a 40 hour week) and solid fringe benefits, including a good pension scheme.
Please feel free to contact Thomas Duurland, Senior Program Officer NI-SCOPS, by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org with any question about this position.
Would you like to apply? Just send us your motivation and resume in English by using the following hyperlink: https://idhtrade.inhroffice.com/en/job/150893/apply
We encourage applicants to respond as soon as possible, latest by January 31st, 2020.
Candidates should be EU nationals or have permission to work in the Netherlands. For more information about IDH, please visit www.idhsustainabletrade.com.