IDH Farmfit Fund, Business Support and Intelligence Center
The 500 M smallholders farmers globally are deprived from essential services to properly develop their farming systems and increase household incomes. In Africa, regional food security for the rapidly growing population crucially depends on the successful integration of smallholder production in regional value chains. This requires companies, civil society and government to innovate together, develop business models and forge new supply chain collaborations. IDH Farmfit Business Support drives this transformation by supporting companies and financial institutions to analyze, innovate, and scale their smallholder business models. Drawing on the lessons from analyzing and supporting 100+ companies, the Farmfit Intelligence Center generates strategic insights into best practices and key success factors in smallholder inclusion. Farmfit Business Support and Intelligence Center are Funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and DFID. To take these smallholder business models to scale, the Farmfit Fund has been launched. This is a 100 M dollar fund – and a 1 billion dollar guarantee – that invests in companies and banks for smallholder finance, with the objective to lift at least 3 M farmers out of poverty and make farmer finance a mainstream investment class.
In line with the recent launch of FarmFit, IDH is recruiting a:
Service Delivery Model (SDM) Manager
Based in Utrecht, the Netherlands
As SDM Manager, you will use your extensive experience in consulting and agricultural value chains to support our partners in analyzing and improving the performance of their Service Delivery Models (SDMs) for smallholder farmers.
Farmfit will analyze the SDMs of 100+ companies using our data-driven SDM methodology, and you will be responsible for leading many of these analyses. You develop business with global and regional players, carry out SDM analyses of their models, and provide them with strategic advice on innovating their smallholder business. Going beyond individual SDMs, you set up strategic collaborations with key innovators aimed at transforming supply chains across countries and commodities.
As Farmfit is currently being set up, you also provide hands-on support to for the operational set-up, especially for establishing an Intelligence Center through which key actionable insights and a benchmarking database will be made available for the public.
You are part of a larger Farmfit team in Utrecht, consisting of the Director of Learning and Innovation, a Farmfit Manager, another SDM manager, an SDM analyst, a data manager, a data analyst, and innovation managers. You are reporting to the Farmfit Manager and will work together closely with the SDM analyst in executing SDM analyses.
Core job functions
- Carry out SDM analyses with the support of the SDM analyst.
- Drawing on the insights from your analysis, provide strategic advice to partners on the design of their SDMs and oversee implementation.
- Develop business for individual SDM analyses and innovation as well as global partnerships with companies whom you support with strategic advice on how to sustainably include smallholders in the global supply chains.
- Pro-actively distill high-level learning, trends and best practices from your own company engagements and those of your colleagues; and transform them into actionable insights for the Farmfit learning community.
- Manage the relationship with Farmfit’s partners and engage them strategically at senior management level.
- Together with the Farmfit Manager, further develop the SDM methodology and support the operational set-up of Farmfit.
Required Qualifications and Education
- M.Sc. in economics, business, supply chain management, or similar;
- 5+ years of relevant working experience;
- Outstanding analytical skills and ability to drive process for quality analysis and reports;
- Experience in advising senior external stakeholders at a strategic level;
- Deep understanding of (financial) business models and experience in building models (proficiency in Excel is a must);
- Thorough understanding of smallholder-based agricultural value chains (from a private sector perspective);
- Outstanding presentation skills, incl. building PPTs;
- Result-oriented, self-propelling and self-organized, eye for detail;
- Excellent oral and written communications and presentation skills. Fluency in English.
- Willingness to travel extensively (approx. 1 week per month) and ability to deliver on tight deadlines.
Additional desired Qualifications
- Fluency in French, Spanish or Portuguese.
IDH offers a challenging position within an enthusiastic and passionate team. As an IDH team member you can contribute to positive global change. For more information about IDH, please visit www.idhsustainabletrade.com.
This is a full-time position, initially for one year, with the intention to extend. We offer a competitive salary (depending on seniority and experience) and solid fringe benefits, including a good pension scheme.
For questions about this position, please contact Bernd Isenberg, Farmfit Manager at: +31621431276. Candidates should have a working permit for the EU.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply (motivation letter and 2-page resume in English) by using the following hyperlink: https://idhtrade.inhroffice.com/en/job/123220
We encourage applicants to respond as soon as possible, latest by 14 February 2019. Candidates are based in the Netherlands or should have permission to work in the Netherlands.