Are you passionate about landscape approaches, deforestation free supply chains, climate resilient food systems and global efforts to limit global warming? Are you driven by a desire to make partnerships work and to help make things happen, and do you enjoy working in a diverse international team and context? Do you have experience with carbon projects related to land use, and investment processes?
Then you might be our new Director of Landscapes and Carbon Finance who will work across IDH landscapes to build and implement strategies for attracting carbon finance and impact investment capital in IDH landscapes programs and interventions.
IDH Landscapes & Carbon Finance
The vast growing demand for agricultural commodities worldwide creates an increasing pressure to convert natural vegetation into productive land, while climate change and unsustainable agricultural practices negatively affect the amount of land that is suitable for agriculture and forestry.
The latest IPCC report also showed that carbon sequestration in agriculture and reducing conversion of natural ecosystems, are among the most effective climate change mitigation options out there.
Supply chains are the key to fighting against climate change, as they generate around 60% of all carbon emissions globally. Addressing supply chain sustainability is therefore an essential step in achieving net zero. Many companies have set net-zero targets and have committed to SBTi.
As land use is closely entwined in the lives of those living and working on the land, IDH carbon strategy is focused on decarbonizing supply chains while creating opportunities for producers and smallholder farmers for climate resilient production and improve farmer income. Our carbon projects seeks to incorporate carbon value in existing value chains and landscapes by securing mitigation and adaptation benefits for farmers, reduced carbon footprints for commodity buyers, and more resilient landscapes for everyone. Carbon finance in these initiatives is largely considered as an enabler / revenue flow to complement other forms of investment.
To strengthen our flagship innovation partnerships in coffee, cocoa, beef, and regenerative landscapes, we seek to hire a Director of Landscapes and Carbon Finance that will lead new project and partnership development, as well as provide oversight to ensure technical rigour around innovations related to a.o. benefit sharing models, measuring and quantifying carbon impact and co-benefits, governance and approaches to MRV in linking carbon outcomes to company’s supply chains.
The role requires sufficient proficiency in carbon finance to develop innovative agriculture, forestry and other land use carbon partnerships linked to SBTi and company’s supply chains, and support project teams to contract specific carbon technical expertise.
The overarching aim is to test these innovations, generate proof of concept of the approaches, and their impact, and develop strategies and partnerships to scale these up.
The Director of Landscape and Carbon Finance position is housed within IDH Investment Development team and requires close collaboration with teams across the organisation working on carbon, with the internal Carbon finance Working group as a key platform for coordination and exchange.
There is a strong preference for the role to be based in Utrecht, The Netherlands, but for exceptional candidates’ other duty stations in locations where IDH has presence may be considered.
Our ideal candidate will have strong leadership skills, solid judgment, and access to broad professional networks. They will possess integrity, a positive attitude, and a demonstrated passion for IDH’s mission.
They should have a background in agricultural commodity chains, blended finance, climate policy, environmental sustainability, economic equity, and/or related fields of interest.
Building on the network of and working closely with the team of IDH country teams as well as sector programs, you will:
- Scope, co-develop and oversee technical implementation of carbon and landscape finance projects in IDH, working closely with the country directors and regional landscape program directors in Africa, Latin America, and Asia.
- Oversee data flows and partnerships to assess the impact and replicability of carbon pilot projects currently under implementation in coffee, cocoa, beef and regenerative landscapes.
- Build and maintain overview and relationships with IDH partner fund managers, supply chain partners with SBTI commitments, selected carbon fund managers, nature-based solutions funds, banks, investors, and other financial partners.
- Coordinate the design of Technical Assistance and co-funding projects that enable investment in sustainable land management projects that include a carbon component, working with colleagues in ensuring appropriate implementation and reporting on these projects.
- Be the go-to-person for questions on carbon partnership opportunities and projects in sustainable land management, either by having this knowledge yourself or by being able to quickly connect to relevant colleagues/ partners or contracting experts/consultants for specific assignments.
- Manage a small team of staff and consultants, and work collaboratively with a strong team of international IDH cross-program staff and associates.
What you bring
- At least 10 years of relevant working experience in carbon finance, impact investment, agriculture supply chain innovations.
- Dealmaking skills, and a track record of collaborative and practical solution creation.
- Experience with taking a hands-on approach in designing and implementing partnership programs and engaging government and companies in advancing climate solutions.
- Track record of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken a program or organization to the next stage of growth.
- A working knowledge of carbon standards, with proven ability to develop innovative Agriculture, Forestry and Other Land Use carbon projects, preferably linked to SBTi and company’s supply chains.
- Knowledge of sustainability challenges and solutions in agricultural, forestry and land use transformation sector, preferably in cocoa, coffee, beef, forestry, or regenerative landscapes.
- Ability to assess (the potential for) a commercially viable deal (with blended finance support), preferably 3 years of experience in investment projects, either through a role in the financial sector, or in corporate or consulting (preferred).
- Exceptional communications skills (including in communicating complex technical topics to non-expert audiences).
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with a wide range of stakeholders including governments, community stakeholders, environmental groups, investors, and the private sector.
What we offer
- A gross monthly salary ranging between EUR 5174 to EUR 6467 (based on a 40 hour work week), depending on your experience.
- a fulltime (40 hours) 1 year contract initially, with the intention to extend (as this is a permanent position).
- a challenging, pivotal role within an impacting, international organization.
- 8% holiday allowance, contribution to sports/health club subscription, pension scheme, flexible & hybrid working, health insurance contribution, 26 holidays, travel cost allowance, monthly lunch contribution, etc.
- an open environment where you can grow and develop yourself, including an individual development budget.
- all the work supplies you need to excel in your role (e.g., laptop and mobile phone).
- opportunity to work with a global team and make a positive impact on society.
- energy at our office, with our sustainable coffee, fresh ginger and mint tea and a selection of fresh fruit available.
Please note that these benefits are relevant for our HQ in Utrecht, NL.
For questions about this position, please contact Leonore Kemper, our corporate recruiter, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Would you like to apply? Please follow this link and submit your application: https://idhtrade.inhroffice.com/en/job/287482/apply
We encourage applicants to respond before September, 18th 2023.
At IDH sustainable trade initiative, we’re committed to equal employment opportunity, and we prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We strive to be a more equal opportunity workplace every day.
Who we are
IDH puts people, planet, and progress at the heart of trade by leveraging the power of markets to create better jobs, better incomes, a better environment, and gender equity for all. To catalyse change at scale, IDH innovates, convenes, and invests in inclusive and sustainable solutions that enable businesses to create value for people and planet, while improving their own performance. To create the greatest impact in the shortest amount of time, IDH focuses on empowering people within corporations, the global financial sector and governments that have the most influence over value chains.
Headquartered in the Netherlands, IDH has around 300 employees globally, operating in 20 landscapes and 12 commodities and sourcing regions with over 1000 public and private partners. In 13 years of operation, IDH has generated over 390 M in private sector investment and support for new business models that create better jobs, better incomes, a better environment, and gender equity for all.
IDH’s work is made possible thanks to the funding and trust of a variety of public and private donors, among which the Governments of Netherlands, Denmark, and other government donors and private foundations.
For more information, go to http://www.idhsustainabletrade.com or follow @IDHTrade on Twitter and LinkedIn.