Are you passionate about sustainable trade and do you have experience of working in/with the private sector on this topic? Do you want to enable farming communities to become more resilient to climate change, and contribute to the restoration and protection of the environment, while also improving gender equity around the world? Do you have proven skills and experience in strategy development and the design and delivery of collaborative programs? If so, then we would love to hear from you!
IDH is looking for an experienced and driven Program Manager to manage exciting new work that is being developed with its strategic partner Better Cotton and that will take innovative approaches to deepening sustainability impacts in cotton growing regions (Asia, Africa, and South America). The work is centred around an agenda of improved farmer incomes and climate adaptation and mitigation strategies. Key will be to create an investable pipeline for impact investment projects. The Program Manager will also get involved in landscape-level initiatives that bring together different stakeholder groups, such as governments, companies, farmers, international organizations, and local civil society organizations, around a common vision of environmental regeneration and enhanced community resilience and inclusion.
The position provides the right candidate with the opportunity to work at the highest level, around IDH’s impact areas of Better Incomes, Better Environment, and Gender, and to contribute to ongoing strategic development of IDH’s Materials work.
As the Program Manager Materials – Cotton, you will be part of the Textiles & Manufacturing Business Unit and report directly to the Senior Program Manager Materials. The core focus of the role will be to design and manage the successful delivery of new work streams being developed with Better Cotton. Your key responsibilities will be:
- Co-designing strategy, translating the strategic goals into operational plans, and taking full responsibility for program implementation, deliverables, monitoring, reporting and evaluation on outcomes on time, within budget and within scope
- Engaging with various stakeholders to secure collaboration and the implementation of programs, including local governments, private sector, and civil society organizations
- Technical lead in proposal development, concept notes, investment committee notes, program summaries and reporting
- Developing investable projects and supporting with securing investments in sustainable smallholder farming in cotton growing regions, from the private sector, impact funds, and others
- People management (of a Program Officer) and bringing the right competencies from other teams within IDH to the projects
Who you are
You are analytically strong, self-directed, able, and you enjoy working independently. You are a trustworthy and experienced sparring partner for internal colleagues and external stakeholders. In addition, you have excellent interpersonal skills, and adapt easily to change and new cultures. You can manage change and gain commitment easily as you are able to connect to different people with different backgrounds. Working in a results-oriented, flexible, cooperative, and hands-on manner, you know how to drive the process, and keep focus in your move to a successful planned outcome.
What you bring
- Degree, ideally up to Masters’ level, in agriculture, environmental science, social science, such as development studies or economics, or related fields.
- At least 7-10 years of working experience of program management in sustainability, impact investment, corporate responsibility, including financial management and M&E
- People management experience
- Proven experience of engaging with major players in government, the private sector, and/or other types of senior stakeholders
- Experience of having worked as part of a dynamic and international team
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills in English
- Knowledge of impact investment and/or carbon finance is highly desirable
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially a very good working knowledge of Excel and PowerPointAbility and willingness to travel as required (estimated to be around 2-4 trips per year)
Who we are
IDH brings companies, CSOs, governments and others in public-private partnerships together to realize green & inclusive growth at scale in commodity sectors and sourcing areas. Our approaches are designed to drive sustainability from niche to norm in mainstream markets, delivering impact on Sustainable Development Goals. We focus on creating positive impact on deforestation, living incomes and living wages, working conditions, toxic loading and gender. In this we are supported by multiple European governments, including our institutional donors: BUZA, SECO and DANIDA. IDH is a company that works together with over 600 companies, CSOs, financial institutions, producer organizations and governments in 12 sectors and 12 landscapes in over 40 countries worldwide.
For more information about IDH, please visit www.idhsustainabletrade.com.
What we offer
IDH offers a dynamic international environment and an enthusiastic and passionate team. As an IDH team member you can contribute to positive global change. This is a full-time position (40 hours per week) for an initial period of one year, with the possibility of extension. We offer a gross monthly salary between €3276 and € 4095 and solid fringe benefits, including a good pension scheme.
Candidates are based in The Netherlands or the UK and must have permission to work in either of those locations. No work visas will be provided as part of the employment package.
Please feel free to contact Ayana Chatterjee (Corporate Recruiter, firstname.lastname@example.org ) with any questions about this position.
Would you like to apply? Just send us your motivation and resume in English by using the following hyperlink: https://idhtrade.inhroffice.com/en/job/233421/apply
We encourage applicants to respond as soon as possible.