To strengthen its team in Malawi, IDH is recruiting a:
Program Officer for the Tea Program
this position in based Blantyre, Malawi
Background IDH tea Program in Malawi
The Malawi Tea 2020 partnership brings together the organizations who can deliver the changes required to achieve a more competitive and profitable Malawian tea industry where workers earn a living wage and smallholders will be able to earn a living income. The programme is supported by companies all along the tea value chain. All producers are part of the programme through the Tea Association of Malawi (TAML). The main buyers of Malawi tea are actively involved; tea traders, packers as well as retailers. Also being involved are the main development organizations, certification schemes, civil society actors and trade unions in the sector. The partnership is endorsed by the Malawi government. In total, 21 different organizations signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in the summer of 2015 committing them to the programme. IDH had a leading role in bringing this partnership together, is the chair of the Steering Committee and key in translating the ambitions into action.
The Program Officer will support the IDH Tea Program in the implementation of initiatives in Malawi. Responsibilities will include general oversight of activities in Malawi, contract management, financial project administration and monitoring & evaluation activities, as well as gathering, collating and analysis of required information. The Program officer will be responsible for working with the field level projects related partners to ensure the effective implementation of the work on the ground. S/he will liaise with the IDH Tea Team at IDH Headquarters and the IDH Malawi team.
1. Program management:
– Joint responsibility for implementation of the IDH Tea Program activities in Malawi related to the Malawi Tea 2020 program, and other future opportunities.
– Collaborate with Tea/Operation (OPS) team at IDH Headquarters with regard to contracting, contract management and financial project administration.
– Gather, collate and analyze information required to support program development
– Work closely with the IDH Country Coordinator to develop clear KPIs and conduct monitoring and evaluation of field level projects for Tea accordingly with the plan agreed with the program manager.
– Work closely with the IDH country coordinator in Malawi and Implementing Partners (IPs) to ensure the project targets are delivered in a timely manner and with good quality.
– Manage deliverables and progress with service providers and IPs as assigned according to IDH reporting guidelines and KPIs.
2. Stakeholder management and networking:
– Support the multi-stakeholder process in enhancing program governance and partnerships between IDH and other stakeholders for joint interventions and co-funding.
– Assist in the maintenance and future development of relations with other stakeholders such as the Tea Association of Malawi (TAML), private sector (tea producers and/or packers), NGO’s and others to strengthen the Tea program.
3. Meetings, events and workshops:
– Responsible for logistics, reporting and review of meetings, events and workshops between IDH and partners.
– Support the planning, organization and coordination of the mentioned above meetings, events and workshops as required.
– Support the development and implementation of tea Malawi communication materials, which were not developed by other partners or based on those developed by IPs.
– Facilitate dissemination of knowledge from program learnings to the wider tea industry.
– Independent, pro-active and self-driven.
– Working and thinking at Bachelor’s degree level, preferably in agribusiness or sustainable development.
– Proven hands-on experience for at least 5 years with program management, financial administration, budgets and contracts.
– Knowledge of sustainability, international trade, supply chains and smallholder farming issues in Malawi.
– Experience with stakeholder management and developing joint agenda’s with different stakeholders in Malawi (e.g. government, private companies, community organizations, NGO’s).
– Fluent in English (verbal and written).
– Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially a very good working knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint.
– Active, service and detail-oriented, analytical, structured and business minded.
– Ability to organize and prioritize work, multitask and meet strict timelines.
– Private sector experience.
– In depth knowledge of the tea sector and sustainability issues in tea as well as a network in the Malawian tea sector are a plus.
This position will be based in Blantyre, with occasional travel and working in tea growing areas, for at least 20% of his/her work time. IDH offers a challenging position within an enthusiastic and passionate team. The successful applicant will be offered a consultancy contract for one year with competitive remuneration, but with the possibility to extend.
For more information about IDH, please visit www.idhsustainabletrade.com. For more on the Malawi Tea programme see the website www.malawitea2020.com.
For questions about this position, please contact Daisy Kambalame at email@example.com.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their CV and application letter (in English), explaining your interest and capabilities for the position and your CV/resume, to Iris van Oort, HR Officer, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must be received before 28 September 2017.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement
There are two kinds of companies: those that sell sustainable products... and those that will...