Drawing on the lessons from analyzing and supporting 100+ companies, the Farmfit Intelligence Centre analyzes data and generates strategic insights into best practices and key success factors in smallholder inclusion. To assist in this, we are looking for a Research Intern to join IDH’s Farmfit Intelligence Centre team!
Farmfit Intelligence Centre is the beneficiary of a wealth of data and information that it seeks to analyze and aggregate into data-driven and evidenced-based insights in the form of actionable knowledge products. As an intern you will be responsible to support the Farmfit Intelligence Centre team in key research and learning activities contributing to internal knowledge management, the revision of the learning framework, and research to identify knowledge gaps. In addition, there will be opportunities for you to conduct data analysis on the aggregate database and you will take on several administrative tasks such as meeting coordination and minute-taking.
The internship will allow you to gain insights into international agricultural value chains at the interface of public-private partnerships, providing hands on experience with practical and action-oriented research in addition to evidence gathering for business and policy advice. You will work with a team of highly motivated and driven colleagues; working directly with the Data Analytics Manager and other members of Farmfit Intelligence Centre team that is based in Utrecht. At the same time, you are a part of the global Farmfit team and will also interact with other team members based in Utrecht, Nairobi and Bengaluru.
Core activities will be:
- Together with the Data Analytics Manager, you will be responsible for conducting research on a range of crops and geographies that feed into our Learning Framework and Impact Portfolios. This research is key to understanding the types of market failures present in different markets. This ultimately provides input into how and where Farmfit directs its interventions.
- Conducting research on key topics to identify knowledge gaps. Farmfit Intelligence aims to complement existing research in the sector, therefore ahead of each knowledge product an exercise is undertaken to establish the product’s value add. Through scanning existing literature, you will help determine areas where knowledge products are most needed.
- Help spread insights from Farmfit Intelligence Centre activities across the wider Farmfit team. This could entail a combination of establishing a monthly internal newsletter in addition to maintaining internal wikipages on the Farmfit internal knowledge platform (SamePage).
- Assisting with administrative tasks including the coordination and minute-taking of fortnightly Intelligence Centre team meetings.
Who you are and what you bring:
- Working and thinking at academic level;
- Currently completing (or recently completed) a graduate program at university level (e.g. MSc) in international development, economics and/or business administration or related studies;
- Strong research skills with proven experience in literature reviews, research design, interview techniques and statistics
- Knowledge of international development, agricultural value chains or similar;
- Conceptual and analytical strength, experience with knowledge management and data analyses are an advantage;
- Result-orientated, pro-active, structured, self-organized and an eye for detail;
- The ability to review large amounts of information and work with a high degree of independence;
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills in English.
Who we are:
IDH brings companies, CSOs, governments and others in public-private partnerships together to realize green & inclusive growth at scale in commodity sectors and sourcing areas. Our approaches are designed to drive sustainability from niche to norm in mainstream markets, delivering impact on Sustainable Development Goals. We focus on creating positive impact on Better Jobs, Better Environment and Better Income. In this we are supported by multiple European governments, including our institutional donors: BUZA, SECO and DANIDA. IDH is a company that works together with over 600 companies, CSOs, financial institutions, producer organizations and governments in 12 sectors and 22 landscapes in over 40 countries worldwide.
What we offer:
IDH offers a motivated, young professional the opportunity to join the Farmfit Program in a fast-paced environment, and support in facilitating and driving impact on service delivery models for smallholder farmers in agricultural value chains. We offer an internship allowance of 500 euro gross per month based on 40 hours per week. The internship is for 32-40 hours/week for a period of six months.
For questions about this position, please contact Kafui Adjogatse at Adjogatse@idhtrade.org. Would you like to apply? Just send us your motivation and resume in English by using the following hyperlink: https://idhtrade.inhroffice.com/en/job/174100
The starting date is flexible, but preferably by 8th of February 2021. We encourage applicants to respond as soon as possible, latest by 10th January 2021. Candidates are based in the Netherlands or should have permission to work in the Netherlands.