To coordinate and implement the horticulture project in Rwanda, IDH is recruiting a:
this role is based in Kigali, Rwanda
In May 2017, IDH and Rwandan national agriculture export board (NAEB) signed a three-year MoU with the objective to develop a sustainable and inclusive national and export horticulture sector. Facilitating and supporting Rwandan export companies and farmers to improve production of high quality fruits and vegetables, food safety, quality and traceability for domestic, regional and export markets. This also includes supporting export companies and farmers to access affordable finance, packaging materials as well as marketing and market linkage.
Emerging domestic and regional markets in Africa for higher value crops will lead to the final shift from subsistence to formal food economy thus forming a good business opportunity for Rwandan companies and farmers. NAEB has recognized these potentials therefore have setup an ambitious plan to develop horticulture sector for domestic and export markets for which NAEB has asked IDH to support. This is also in-line with the Dutch Embassy in Kigali’s economic development plan for Rwandan hence pledging financial support for horticulture development, setting up a four-year project in Rwanda for which IDH and partners have been tasked to implement.
The Agronomist will be based in Kigali, Rwanda, reports to the Senior Commodity Trade Specialist of IDH. He/she will be fully focused on the development and implementation of the project in close collaboration with NAEB, project partners, farmers and export companies. The position is a full-time position for a period of one year with possibility to extend for the project duration
IDH is looking for an organized, service-oriented and self-motivated team player with leadership skills and a strong interest in supply chain sustainability and horticulture value chain development with a minimum of six years’ work experience on farmer and fruits and vegetables supply chain development. Primary task is (1) to strategically and practically support export companies and farmers to improve production of high quality fruits and vegetables for local and export markets in Africa, Middle East and Europe (crop walking and demonstrating best agricultural practices from seed to export). (2) Setup a workplan and organize training programs ensuring farmers and cooperatives are trained and adopt food safety, global gap, environment and social compliance in accordance with market requirement. You are both analytical and practical, able to work independently and learn fast. Working in a results-oriented, flexible and hands-on manner, you execute given projects quickly and thoroughly, maintaining a good overview on delegated tasks.
Strategic and operational production and export development: coaching and training a selected group of producers and exporters to be linked to the European, African intra trade market and the middle east market:
- Implement the action plan on improving farming and export results and performance.
- Improve the growing performance of a selected group of growers by doing:
– Crop walking
– Workshops with the growers.
– Implementing chain feedback from customers
- In close collaboration with project partners and companies, develop strategy for farmer development on productivity, quality, food safety and social compliance
- Support local companies/fruits and vegetable traders to develop a realistic business plans which will result in traders buying directly from farmers within the project area
- Work closely with project partners to ensure farmers supply local high-end market e.g. hotels, restaurants, supermarkets and whole sellers
- Work with companies and partners to strengthen logistic and product transportation from production areas to park house and airport in Kigali
- Develop a clear overview of existing supply chain activities for the initiative to leverage
- Align with key-stakeholders to ensure their engagement and commitment to the project
- Contribute to the team work on content and commercialization of agriculture in Rwanda
Candidates will be selected on the basis of key criteria:
- Knowledge and experience in growing premium crops life Premium beans, Hot pepper range, passion fruit, etc
- Knowledge of machinery and improving efficiency on the farming operation
- Experience in optimizing a supply chain from Seed till final customer.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work, multitask and meet strict timelines.
- Knowledge on certification of production chains: from farming to pack houses.
IDH offers a challenging position with opportunities for growth within an enthusiastic and passionate organization. As an IDH team member you can contribute to positive global change. The position is a full-time position. The successful applicant will initially be offered a one year consultancy contract with the possibility of extension.
For more information about IDH, please visit www.idhtrade.org.
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to apply (motivation letter and 2-page resume in English) before 28 August 2019 by using the following hyperlink: https://idhtrade.inhroffice.com/en/job/139767/apply
Candidates are based in Rwanda or should be eligible to obtain permission to work in Rwanda.