- Get energy from enabling investment to raise smallholder income.
- Enjoy building capacity within a growing team.
- Are able to pioneer Environmental and Social risk management in smallholder value chains.
- Have the ability to enable successful and sustainable transactions while upholding environmental, social and human rights standards.
- Are a business-minded and solution-oriented strategic thinker.
Then apply to our Senior Environmental and Social Risk Manager position and join our IDH Farmfit Fund investment team.
About the role
As Senior Environmental and Social Manager you will be responsible for Environmental and Social (E&S) Risk management within the IDH Farmfit Fund investment team. You will work closely together with the Fund’s Investment Managers, the M&E and Impact Advisor, and the larger IDH organization. You will report to the Chief Operating Officer of IDH Investment Management, the Fund Manager of the IDH Farmfit Fund (the Fund).
The Fund works towards market transformation by catalyzing private capital to strengthen smallholder value chains through sustainable and scalable smallholder investments in emerging markets. It aims to improve the lives of at least 3 million smallholder farmers globally and substantially raise their incomes. At the same time, the types of transactions that the Fund seeks out within its mandate and impact objective may imply certain environmental and social risks. Scaling portfolio companies’ and farmers’ activities is likely to result in increased use of resources, in terms of land, agricultural inputs, labor, energy, etc. with potentially adverse environmental and social impacts.
In this role, you will work on effectively and equitably managing E&S risks in the Fund’s investment due diligence and monitoring to achieve a balance between managing E&S risks and adverse impacts and maximizing intended outcomes and impacts.
Your key responsibilities will be in the following areas:
- Sustainability strategy and policies: you will be responsible for the full scope of environmental and social risk management and ensure implementation of the Fund’s Environmental Social Management System (ESMS) across all aspects of the IDH Farmfit Fund and its investments. From initial screening through to investment approval, monitoring and exit. You will lead the implementation and continuous improvement of the Fund’s ESMS and its control and reporting systems.
- Investment appraisal and execution: you will be appraising the E&S risks of the (potential) investments of the Fund against its ESMS. You will perform the E&S risk due diligence throughout the investment process, identify opportunities for value addition from an E&S risk perspective and provide input to and evaluate the investment documentation. As part of due diligence you will identify gaps and opportunities in relation to E&S risk aspects of (potential) investee companies, formulate E&S Action Plans (ESAP) to improve investee performance, and support investment managers with negotiation of these action plans.
- Investee guidance and monitoring: . Following an investment decision, you will guide investee companies in the implementation of ESAPs, as well as monitor investee progress towards closing the identified gaps to manage risks, as well as lead E&S risk-related reporting to the Fund’s stakeholders.
- Knowledge sharing and training: providing internal training on environmental and social risk management. Where appropriate, designing and managing formal technical assistance projects for E&S capacity development.
- EU regulations and international standards: Stay abreast of E&S risk-related developments in regulatory requirements and sector standards and lead the implementation of sustainability-related disclosures and other requirements for financial institutions (EU taxonomy/SFDR).
- Network and relationship management: Building and maintaining strong relationships with (finance and trade) partners of the Fund and IDH Investment Management. Representing IDH Investment Management and the Fund at conferences, industry events, and environmental, social or human rights fora, and liaising with external stakeholders including NGOs and governments.
You find it easy to build long lasting productive work relationships with all kinds of people, from middle management to senior management level. With these people skills you can work in a small, global and multi-disciplinary team. As you are a pioneer in this job you will have to use your analytical skills, risk awareness and the ability to think and act creatively with an entrepreneurial mindset. You independently plan, organize and prioritize your work across several assignments at the same time. You enable successful and sustainable transactions while upholding environmental, social and human rights standards.
- At least 5 years working experience in a relevant E&S Risk Manager position in the agriculture sector, in a (development) bank, impact investment fund, or consultancy firm and with at least 3 years of experience with the application of IFC Performance Standards and related international environmental, social and/or human right standards in developing countries. Knowledge of financial inclusion is a benefit.
- A Master’s degree in a relevant agriculture(-adjacent) discipline, such as agronomy, environmental sciences linked to agriculture or land-use, etc.
- Practical experience in private sector engagement or advisory on international best practices, especially in the context of smallholder farmers, on topics such as land use, or resource efficiency in agricultural practices.
- Ability of using remote sensing tools and analyzing GIS data is an advantage.
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Fluency in Spanish and/or French is a benefit.
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently to developing countries, and to visit remote locations under basic conditions.
IDH Investment Management is the Fund Manager of the IDH Farmfit Fund, both 100% subsidiaries of Stichting IDH Sustainable Trade Initiative, a foundation based in the Netherlands established in October 2008 with the purpose of making (agri) supply chains more sustainable. For more information, we refer to the websites of IDH Farmfit Fund (www.farmfitfund.org) and IDH (www.idhtrade.org).
The Farmfit Fund is an EUR 100m blended finance fund, representing a joint investment from the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Unilever Plc., Mondelēz Inc., JDE Peet’s and Rabobank.
The Farmfit Fund invests in smallholder farmer-based value chains, thereby taking the highest risk positions, with the objective to reduce the risk of other lenders and investors. By doing so the Farmfit Fund will catalyze commercial capital to co-invest in this sector and allow agri-commodity traders, agri SMEs, and/or financial institutions to expand the services that they provide to smallholder farmers.
The objective of the Fund is to demonstrate that farmer financing is possible in a sustainable way by building a large and sound farmer-centric investment portfolio with both value chain actors and financial institutions. This will increase the availability of affordable, long-term financing to farmers leading to significant improvements in small holder farmer livelihoods and incomes.
IDH Investment Management offers a dynamic international environment and an enthusiastic and passionate team. As an IDH Investment Management team member you can contribute to positive global change. The position is for 32-40 hours per week. Depending on your seniority and experience we offer a market conform salary between EUR 4,500 – 6,250 and solid fringe benefits, including a good pension scheme.
Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Vacation: 26 days of paid vacation leave per year (100% FTE). Additionally, IDH offers the flexibility to buy or sell up to 6 days of vacation annually, allowing you to tailor your time off to your personal needs.
- Health Insurance Support: IDH contributes €66.14 net per month towards your health insurance premium, helping you maintain optimal health coverage.
- Robust Pension Scheme: A comprehensive pension scheme with considerable contribution by the employer and 3.5% contribution by the employee, ensuring financial stability during your retirement.
- Commuting support: Provide NS Business Card or full reimbursement of commuting costs. Choose between receiving €0.21 per kilometer or opting for second class public transport, making your journey to work hassle-free.
- Flexible Working Hours and Hybrid Work Model: Allows you to balance your professional and personal life effectively.
- Supportive Work Environment: IDH provides all the necessary work supplies depends on the role (laptop, phone, etc.) to ensure you have everything you need to excel in your role.
- Work-from-Home Allowance: Receive a monthly work-from-home allowance of €16.53 net, acknowledging the changing work landscape and supporting your remote work setup.
- Health and Wellness: Prioritize your physical well-being with a sports club/health club allowance of €38.58 gross per month, enabling you to invest in your fitness and overall health.
Your work is preferred to be based in Utrecht, other European countries can be possible.
Please feel free to contact Barbara Visser at Visser@idhtrade.org with any questions about this position.
Would you like to apply? Just send us your motivation and resume in English by using the following hyperlink: https://idhtrade.inhroffice.com/en/job/282865/apply
We encourage applicants to respond as soon as possible, latest by 13 August 2023. The deadline for application can close earlier if we find a suitable candidate for the role.