Are you a senior leader that wants to play a part in ensuring that we can deliver value to small and medium-sized farmers in Brazil? Do you have a background in investing in agri-commodity value chains or in socio-environmental impacts measurement and carbon markets? Do you think in terms of strategic opportunities and are you driven by results? We are looking for a Senior Program Manager that wants to lead the implementation of a Low Carbon Agriculture Technical Assistance Facility in Brazil.
In Brazil, since 2015 IDH is supporting the construction of the PPI approach named locally as PCI, the Producing, Conserve, Include Strategy in Mato Grosso State. Resources for this landscape strategy were split in building the governance and transparency at state and municipal levels throughout the establishment of mechanisms like a private legal entity (PCI Institute), local municipal committees and monitoring system that indicates the achievement of the targets under the PCI agreement during the years. The other part of the resources of the IDH landscape program were invested in field level interventions in a matching with the private sector. And that this model is bolder to address economic, environmental and social issues under a common vision in the territory, for a long-term sustainable use of the land. Now, it is time to go for impact at scale.
Financing small and medium producers is a challenging market segment due to high-risk profile perceived by the market/investors, mainly due to the cash-flow uncertainties of farms that are far from operating as self-sustainable and also for the collateral capacity in these farms. To close the gap, producers need long-term loans allied to technical knowledge for improving agricultural practices. Several initiatives and new mechanisms are being established in the last couple of years, however, most of them have failed in addressing the financial gap by not focusing on long-term funding and others are still trying to generate robust pipelines to test their concepts for not being associated to technical assistance at the farm level.
To enable small scale producers to invest in a transition to low carbon agriculture, IDH Brazil team closely collaborates with public sector bodies at state and national levels, local governments, producer’s associations, private sector players and financial sector.
In order to address the financial gap and to promote a more competitive environment for the carbon finance activities, IDH and the Inclusive Green Growth Department of the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs are partnering to establish a Low-carbon Agriculture TA Facility in Brazil that will focus on two main areas: (1) generation of a pipeline of bankable small and medium-size producers investing in low-carbon technologies; and (2) supporting the producers in generating a carbon assets portfolio to connect with voluntary and regulated markets.
The Senior Manager will support the implementation of a local Technical Assistance Facility, focused on the establishment of a centralized monitoring platform, technical field-level support to facilitate the credit access to small and medium-sized farmers and the measurement of carbon mitigation outcomes originated by the ongoing TA projects funded by IDH and partners.
The main responsibilities for the Senior Manager are:
- Management – the Senior Manager will be responsible for the contracting and management of consultants and service providers needed for the conduction of the work plan, so as the external communication and conducting internal and external management meetings.
- Capacity building and monitoring – the Senior Manager will be responsible for aligning the capacity building needs with IDH’s partners and stakeholders, to establish the capacity building workshops (including content, exhibitors, panellists and invitees), design the monitoring framework, managing the development and implementation activities with service providers and partners.
- Credit access and bankable pipeline – the Senior Manager will be responsible for the selection of management of consultants and service providers, to establish a technical team for the Facility, engagement with public and private banks, training sessions and coordinating the elaboration and submission of financing projects at farm-level.
- Carbon measurement – the Senior Manager will be responsible for the management of consultants and activities related to the development of the monitoring framework for the measurement of the on-farm mitigation actions, pilot implementation and negotiating with potential partners.
Who you are
You are strategically strong, self-directed, able and willing to work independently. In addition, you have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, adapt easily to new cultures and are a strong group facilitator. You are an energetic, resourceful and hands-on character who operates effectively with minimum direction. You are agile when it comes to changing priorities, taking appropriate initiative and able to assume final responsibility for service delivery.
More than anything else, you take pride in your work and are keen to deliver high quality outputs with a strong focus on clear, effective and efficient processes. You have a head for numbers and are able to analyze data and use trends to inform future strategic priorities.
What you bring
- 10+ years of relevant work experience, with at least 5 years in project management role.
- You have proven ability in business development and program design- experience in selling concepts/solutions.
- Knowledge of the agricultural sector in Brazil, especially regarding low-carbon agriculture and the conditions of small and medium-sized producers.
- Strong network with the financial sector and carbon market actors is a must.
- Excellent in written and spoken English
Who we are
IDH brings companies, CSOs, governments and others in public-private partnerships together to realize green & inclusive growth at scale in commodity sectors and sourcing areas. Our approaches are designed to drive sustainability from niche to norm in mainstream markets, delivering impact on Sustainable Development Goals. We focus on creating positive impact on deforestation, living incomes and living wages, working conditions, toxic loading and gender. In this we are supported by multiple European governments, including our institutional donors: BUZA, SECO and DANIDA. IDH is a company that works together with over 600 companies, CSOs, financial institutions, producer organizations and governments in 12 sectors and 12 landscapes in over 40 countries worldwide. For more information about IDH, please visit www.idhsustainabletrade.com
What we offer
IDH offers a dynamic international environment and an enthusiastic and passionate team. As an IDH team member you can contribute to positive global change. The position is full time and we offer a market competitive compensation.
Candidates are based and/or should have permission to work in Brazil.
Please feel free to contact Marcela Paranhos (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any question about this position.
Would you like to apply? Just send us your motivation and resume in English by using the following hyperlink: https://idhtrade.inhroffice.com/en/job/202310/apply
We encourage applicants to respond as soon as possible, latest by 24 September 2021.