Value Chain Transformation – This role is based in Nigeria.
We are excited to be searching for a proactive and pragmatic Senior Program Manager with an interest in supply chain sustainability to join our team, and we hope it’s you!
IDH’s work in the Value Chain Transformation is a business-led approach that supports the transformation of food value chains, to create employment opportunities, integrate smallholder farmers, women, and youth; improve the resilience of production and supply chain operations to climate change; and contribute to improved food and nutrition security. Central to our business-led approach is to partner with Small and Medium Scale Enterprises (SMEs) and Large-scale premium off-takers in agricultural food value chains to develop local and inclusive supply chains. IDH approach is to work with African food companies to translate more business opportunities for SMEs and Small Holders Farmers (SHF), leading to increased incomes and contributing to improved food security.
The role requires someone who is result-oriented, organized, self-motivated, with leadership skills and a strong interest and competence in supply chain sustainability and value chain development. As the SPM, you are in the driving seat. You will formulate program’s strategy, making sure it leads to tangible impact in the field. This includes translating the strategy into implementation plans, and selecting projects to be co-funded by IDH, which contribute to reaching the sector sustainability targets.
Your role will involve building long-term partnerships with key stakeholders and facilitating public-private coalitions towards the development of joint commitments and action plans that will create systemic change at sector level. You will facilitate and drive the value chain transformation program in Nigeria and play a leading role in the convening and coordination of different public and private stakeholders around the sustainability initiatives of IDH in Nigeria. You will also focus on the development and implementation of different value chain projects.
Who you are.
You are an organized and committed team player who can lead teams and have strong interest in supply chain and commodities sustainability. Internally and externally, you operate at the highest level of integrity. You are a trustworthy partner for colleagues as well as external stakeholders. You can manage change and gain commitment easily as you are able to connect to different people with different backgrounds.
You are results-oriented, flexible, cooperative, and hands-on manner, and committed to team’s targets. You can balance multiple and competing priorities and deadlines and track multiple tasks as delegated to the team members and can travel at short notices.
- Support the implementation of IDH VCT Business Unit’s strategies and direction in Nigeria.
- Lead the design, development, and implementation of inclusive value chain transformation program activities to increase and improve the commercialization and business operations of SMEs and farmers.
- Lead the convening of the public and private sectors around IDH VCT program activities in Nigeria and support the activities of the Nigerian Food System Transformation Alliance, the Coalition of Aquaculture Stakeholders in Nigeria and two industrial cassava stakeholders’ platforms in Nigeria and Ghana
- Conduct diagnostic assessments and gap analysis of SMEs to determine and design strategies for capability enhancement and viability, including feasibility and market assessment to develop pipelines of partners in different value chains in the country to determine opportunities for IDH VCT programs in Nigeria.
- Work with the private sector and other stakeholders to promote and develop the agricultural value chains in Nigeria to improve productivity, quantity, and quality of outputs for national, regional or international markets.
- In collaboration with the Country Director, support the fundraising efforts for the country’s programs and projects in Nigeria.
- Being responsible for the expansion and maintenance of the relevant network with the private sector, donor base, civil society, and governments at all levels to improve IDH VCT work in Nigeria.
What you bring:
- At least 12 years of relevant working experience in the private and civil sectors
- Master’s degree in economics, business-related discipline, agriculture, or natural resource management
- Excellent understanding of and proven experience with private sector engagement. Entrepreneurial mindset is a key requirement.
- An understanding of smallholder farmer business models, and experience of working with Agri SMEs and smallholder farmers from a commercialisation point of view.
- Proven track record and high proficiency in project management across various stages of project development, implementation, and delivery. Good knowledge of value chain development work, agricultural business development, market system and commodity supply chains.
- Experience in establishing, developing, and managing coalitions and partnerships.
- Proven leadership skills and management experience, including the ability to support team performance and a genuine desire to coach and mentor.
- Strong IT skills in Microsoft business packages, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Strong communication and facilitation skills. Fluency in spoken and written English.
We offer you.
A full-time role within an impacting, international organisation – and:
- A service agreement with comprehensive compensation and benefits package
- work-related expenses to be reimbursed by the IDH and to be part of our health (including family), group life and kidnapping insurance policies.
For questions about this position, please contact Conrad Willars our corporate recruiter, at firstname.lastname@example.org or give Conrad Willars a call +31 6 29247011
Who we are.
IDH puts people, planet, and progress at the heart of trade by leveraging the power of markets to create better jobs, better incomes, a better environment, and gender equity for all. To catalyse change at scale, IDH innovates, convenes, and invests in inclusive and sustainable solutions that enable businesses to create value for people and planet, while improving their own performance. To create the greatest impact in the shortest amount of time, IDH focuses on empowering people within corporations, the global financial sector and governments that have the most influence over value chains.
Headquartered in the Netherlands, IDH has around 500 employees globally, operating in 20 landscapes and 12 commodities and sourcing regions with over 1000 public and private partners. In 13 years of operation, IDH has generated over 390 M in private sector investment and support for new business models that create better jobs, better incomes, a better environment, and gender equity for all.
IDH’s work is made possible thanks to the funding and trust of a variety of public and private donors, among which the Governments of Netherlands, Switzerland, and other government donors and private foundations.
For more information, go to http://www.idhsustainabletrade.com or follow @IDHTrade on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Would you like to apply? Just send us your motivation and resume in English.
We encourage applicants to respond before November 26th, 2023.
At IDH sustainable trade initiative, we’re committed to equal employment opportunity, and we prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, colour, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We strive to be a more equal opportunity workplace every day.