Are you passionate about driving sustainability in the private sector, and do you have a business mindset? Do you want to work with forward–thinking companies, developing inclusive and sustainable sourcing strategies in different parts of Africa? Are you an organized and flexible professional who is solutions oriented and results-driven? We are looking for a Senior Program Officer to support the Value Chain Development (VCD) program.
Under the VCD program, we take a market-led approach to creating business opportunities and developing value chains that are sustainable and support the inclusion of local SMEs and smallholder farmers (SHFs). With SMEs as our entry point, and working in partnership with large-scale, premium buyers, we provide tailored support to SMEs and SHFs to meet buying requirements, professionalize, invest, and scale. Our key impact targets are to improve the livelihoods of smallholder farmers through increased revenues and to create new job opportunities.
IDH is recruiting a Senior Program Officer to provide strategic and operational support to the VCD program, to be based at IDH HQ in Utrecht, the Netherlands.
As a Senior Program Officer, you will have the opportunity to contribute to facilitating and driving impact in dynamic supply chain programs. You will work in a team with a Program Director and a Program Manager based out of Utrecht, the Netherlands, and Program Directors and Program Managers in the VCD country teams (Nigeria, Rwanda, Ghana, and Kenya). As a Senior Program Officer, you will help to develop and translate strategic plans and decisions into actions and help to ensure that the VCD program runs smoothly. Based out of Utrecht, the Netherlands, you will provide all-round key support to the Program Managers and Program Director.
Who you are
IDH is looking for an organized, solutions-oriented team player with a strong business mindset. You are both analytical and practical, curious, able to work independently and learn fast. Working in a results-oriented, flexible, and hands-on manner, you execute given projects quickly and thoroughly.
Key responsibilities are:
- Responsible for supporting the development and implementation of the VCD program and in-country projects.
- Responsible for supporting the country teams in reporting, contract management, developing program pipeline, and in maintaining an overview of all VCD projects and activities in relation to the overall program targets. This will be done working closely with the VCD country teams, private sector stakeholders and implementing partners.
- Responsible for supporting the program with research, administration, communication, and logistics.
- Coordinate the reporting by the program partners to enable Operations to run the required program administration and reporting. This includes the development of performance indicators for the management of program deliverables.
What you bring
- Working and thinking at master’s degree level in International Development, Economics, Agronomy, and/or other relevant areas.
- 3-5 years (international) work experience.
- Experience working in a commercial environment, preferably in food supply chains, and knowledge of international trade in Agri-commodity supply chains.
- Experience in project management, monitoring and evaluation, (financial) administration and project budgeting.
- Experience with stakeholder management in an international environment – requiring cultural awareness, a collaborative nature, and an understanding of the benefits of seeking consensus.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work flexibly and with an entrepreneurial and diplomatic approach, both individually and as part of a complex team effort.
- A proven ability to adapt and mange priorities within a dynamic work environment.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially a very good working knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills in English. Additional languages (for instance French) are an advantage.
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
- Ability and willingness to travel to field projects in Africa.
Who we are
IDH brings companies, CSOs, governments and others in public-private partnerships together to realize green & inclusive growth at scale in commodity sectors and sourcing areas. Our approaches are designed to drive sustainability from niche to norm in mainstream markets, delivering impact on Sustainable Development Goals. We focus on creating positive impact on deforestation, living incomes and living wages, working conditions, toxic loading and gender. In this we are supported by multiple European governments, including our institutional donors: BUZA, SECO and DANIDA. IDH is a company that works together with over 600 companies, CSOs, financial institutions, producer organizations and governments in sectors and landscapes in over 40 countries worldwide. For more information about IDH, please visit www.idhsustainabletrade.com.
What we offer
IDH offers a dynamic international environment and an enthusiastic and passionate team. As an IDH team member you can contribute to positive global change. The is a fulltime position (40 hours per week), based in the Netherlands. We offer a gross monthly salary between €2975 and €3200 (based on fulltime) and solid fringe benefits, including a good pension scheme.
Please feel free to contact Mr. David Black (Program Manager) at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about this position. Would you like to apply? Send us your motivation (max 1 page) and resume (max 2 pages) in English by using the following hyperlink: https://idhtrade.inhroffice.com/en/job/210894/apply
We encourage applicants to respond as soon as possible, latest by December 3, 2021. Candidates should be EU nationals or have permission to work in the Netherlands.