Are you ready to join an organisation where you can make an extraordinary impact? Are you looking for a position where you get the chance to be innovative, creative, and direct our global programs? Do you want to take part in the discussion and work towards sustainable trade every day? Are you the leader we are looking for who is able to align and activate various stakeholders from governments, private sector, producers and other partners? IDH has an excellent opportunity for a Global Director to run our Landscapes business unit. We are looking for a colleague with gravitas, who is able to operate at the highest level, is very diplomatic but also a real mover and shaker that is creating tangible impact.
The IDH Landscape program
The IDH Landscapes program is one of IDH’s interventions to drive transformative systemic change towards sustainable trade. In the 16 landscapes in 11 countries currently part of the program, agricultural and forestry commodities are being produced at an increasing rate while problems like deforestation, water stress, biodiversity loss and soil erosion are becoming increasingly acute. IDH brings together key representatives of different interests and priorities, such as governments, large multinational companies, small and medium size local businesses, farmers, international organizations, NGOs and civil society organizations, and helps them cooperate towards a common goal. The work is intended to disrupt and change the existing system, so that agricultural products are grown sustainably, forests and natural resources are safeguarded and restored, and communities prosper.
As Global Director Landscapes, you are leading IDH’s landscape program across the globe. By doing so you contribute to the global IDH strategy. Capitalizing on the current landscape portfolio of IDH across the world, you drive a strategic agenda which engages partners and stakeholders towards next-stage landscape transformation on the following topics:
1. Creating the enabling environment and pipeline for supply chain companies to invest in sustainable production in landscapes and source directly from these landscapes;
2. Creating the enabling conditions and pipeline for investors (impact, government, mainstream) to invest in sustainable landscapes;
3. Building partnerships at landscape level that will ensure sustainable land-use plans and policies.
You are heading the management team of the business unit landscapes, are part of IDH’s global management team, and report directly into the CEO of IDH. The position is a full-time position and requires extensive international travel.
Your key responsibilities
- You carry the end responsibility for the whole Landscapes program. You are excellent at leading your team in taking ownership from idea to impact, fundraising, execution and delivery.
- You will convene at the highest level at a global and landscape level, to build partnerships on landscape and commodity supply chain transformation;
- You drive the impact across the program by steering on innovation, delivery, and partnerships with key partners;
- People management: You work directly with the, internationally based, BU management team members and country directors, a team of multiple nationalities and professional backgrounds. focusing on strategy and impact.
- You will represent IDH on an international level and through this determine the brand of IDH;
- You are responsible for the expansion and maintenance of the relevant IDH network and donor base, and contributing to the further strategic development of IDH;
- The Global Director Landscapes shares responsibility for ensuring the involvement of the wider IDH team in the successes, the challenges and the learning of the Program.
Who you are
You are a trustworthy experienced sparring partner and leader for internal colleagues and external stakeholders. As you are an organized, strategic thinker and a committed team player you are able to juggle multiple, competing priorities and lead teams both through guiding and coaching. You can manage change and are able to, gain commitment as you are able to connect to different people with different backgrounds. You can make the link between the IDH ideas and the needs of our partners worldwide. Working in a results-oriented, flexible, cooperative and hands-on manner, you are committed to your and your team’s targets. As a global director you are sensitive to all the different countries we operate in and are able to gain trust with every team(member) across the globe. You share our view in committing to diversity, equity and inclusion, and advancing gender and social equity for human well-being in our work
What you bring
- 15+ years of relevant working experience in a leadership role in the private sector, government agency or knowledge organization of which at least 5 years in a senior leadership position;
- Deep knowledge, interest and expertise in sustainable landscape development, international and specifically commodity supply chains linked to tropical forest areas, investments, and the reality of developing & emerging economies;
- You have a proven ability to lead a team of multiple nationalities and professional backgrounds, with a strong track record of managerial success and operational experience.
- You have a strong senior network in agricultural supply chain companies as well as in governments and multilateral partners, preferably also in knowledge institutes and civil society;
- Knowledge of the carbon market is a pre;
- Working and thinking at master’s level;
- Fluency in English both written and spoken is required. Next to that being able to express yourself in Spanish or French would be great.
- Willingness to extensively travel internationally, at least 25% of your time (once feasible again).
Who we are
IDH brings companies, CSOs, governments and others in public-private partnerships together to realize green & inclusive growth at scale in commodity sectors and sourcing areas. Our approaches are designed to drive sustainability from niche to norm in mainstream markets, delivering impact on Sustainable Development Goals. We focus on creating positive impact on deforestation, living incomes and living wages, working conditions, toxic loading and gender. In this we are supported by multiple European governments, including our institutional donors: BUZA, SECO and DANIDA. IDH is an organization that works together with over 600 companies, CSOs, financial institutions, producer organizations and governments in 12 sectors and 21 landscapes in over 40 countries worldwide.
What we offer
IDH offers a dynamic international environment and an enthusiastic and passionate team. As an IDH team member you can contribute to positive global change. This is a full-time position, preferably based in the IDH headquarters in the Netherlands. Given the covid travel limitations we will select candidates that can start delivering results from where he/she is. There will be a plan for transitioning physically to the HQ/major IDH hub to be designed during the first year.
Would you like to apply? Just send us your motivation and resume in English by using the following hyperlink: https://idhtrade.inhroffice.com/en/job/168454/apply
We encourage applicants to respond as soon as possible, latest by Monday the 19th of October, 2020. For more information about IDH, please visit www.idhsustainabletrade.com.