Powered by IDH, the Coffee Program is a global, pre-competitive public-private initiative which involves trade and industry partners, (local) governments, NGOs and standard setting organizations operating in the coffee sector. Our ambition is to accelerate sustainable coffee production to a mainstream breakthrough level by uniting the sector and providing a forum for close collaboration with local governments. The Program aims to increase the production, yields and export availability of sustainably grown coffee, enabling coffee producers to become more resilient with climate change.
The Coffee Program globally and Vietnam
In the period of 2018-2020, the Coffee program focus on proving for 3 concepts:
- Concept 1: Smallholder Resilience
Through innovative service delivery eco-systems, income resilience (diversification & productivity) and joint household (business) decision making (improved gender equality), smallholder household resilience will be strengthened, and the coffee supply base will be more stable and sustainable.
- Concept 2: Water and Climate Smart Agriculture
Through policy dialogue, testing field innovations (incl. large scale infrastructure investments) and innovative financial solutions, economically viable and water efficient smallholder irrigation access will be rolled out at scale, leading to less water use (VN) and more climate smart production systems (UG, TZ).
- Concept 3: Responsible agro-input management
Through policy dialogue, IF deals for input financing and innovative SDM eco-systems, agro-input use is more efficient (economically) and more environmentally responsible, leading to less pollution and increased income for smallholder farmers.
Among those 3 concepts, the program in Vietnam focuses on proving for concept 2 and 3.
In order to support the IDH Coffee Program Manager, IDH is recruiting a Program Coordinator with the vision, the experience, independent and the reach to work with the Vietnam coffee sector. The Program Coordinator will be accountable and report regularly to the IDH Coffee Program Manager.
1. Coordinate the implementation of convening and policy dialogue activities under the coffee program in Vietnam, including but not limited to:
- Water management for efficient use of water in coffee production, especially coordinate for the implementation of the research on irrigation system being conducted by Fresh Studio/Agrilogic
- Improved fertilizer management to reduce the use of low-quality, fake and over use of chemical fertilizers
- Learnings and sharing activities under the production sub-committee of Vietnam Coffee Coordination Board (VCCB)
- The pilot and scale up of applying the agrochemical apps in key coffee production areas of Vietnam
- Coordinate the integration of learnings from FLPs, researches into the revision and promotion of National Sustainability Curriculum (NSC)
- Coordinate the exploration of new opportunities for development of coffee program beyond 2020 in Dak Nong, Gia Lai provinces and covering other topics/partners
2. Design and provide overall monitoring of the field level projects in Vietnam
- Work with partners and seek for opportunities to establish FLPs cofounded by IDH and private partners.
- Work with IDH headquarter, New Foresight and companies to coordinate and involve in the implementation of Service Delivery Models (SDM) analysis.
- Develop investment note to be submitted for approval by IDH based on the result of SDM analysis.
- In charge of administrative procedures and contracting
- Regularly monitor the progress and performance of FLPs, with the support of technical field consultants
- Coordinate the FLP learning activities, in collaboration with Global Coffee Platform (GCP) and Vietnam Coffee Coordination Board (VCCB)
- Manage relationships with private partners of the program
- Liaise with related organisations working in the same areas – i.e. key government, private sector and international institutions.
3. Business development and management work:
- Manage relationships with private/business partners of the program
- Explore potential for new relationships/ projects with private/business partners of the program
- Coordinate the preparation of program reports and work plans
- Regular reporting to IDH Coffee Program Manager on activities and measurable results
- People manage the Program Assistant to make sure that he/she delivers as plan
4. Other work assigned by IDH Coffee Program Manager
- A Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Economics, Trade or relevant other study
- At minimum of 8 years of working experience in coordinating large-scale coffee/agri sector improvement programs
- A network in the Vietnam coffee sector
- Connection to key international and Vietnam stakeholders and experience in building innovative alliances between them.
- Experience with stakeholder management in an international environment
- Experience in project management & (financial) administration and project budgeting
- Experience with the private sector, preferably in supply chains and/or investment
- Experience in managing (sector and/or sustainability) coalitions is an advantage
- Experience in international development is an advantage
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially a good working knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills in English.
- Passion for, knowledge of and experience in the field of sustainability
- Outstanding analytical capabilities
- Good strategic reflection capabilities
- Excellent presentation and communication skills, in writing and verbally;
- Pro-active-, service- and detail-oriented, analytical, structured and business minded
- Highly flexible; able to take initiative and work independently
- Organized and ability to have a helicopter view of what need to be done at which time
The ideal candidate will also be perceived as neutral in that they are not perceived to represent certain interests other then up-scaling sustainable production be it ideological or from a market perspective. Specific arrangements will be drawn in the contract to safeguard this.
Terms and conditions
This position is based in Hanoi, with travel to the Central Highlands. IDH offers a challenging position with opportunities for growth within an enthusiastic and passionate team. The successful applicant will be offered a consultancy contract for one year with competitive remuneration, but with the possibility to extend. For more information about IDH, please visit www.idhtrade.org. For questions about this position, please contact Tran Quynh Chi, Landscape Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested candidates should send their CV and application letter (in English), explaining your interest and capabilities for the position and your CV/resume, to Iris van Oort, HR Officer, at email@example.com and Tran Quynh Chi, at firstname.lastname@example.org Application timeline Applications must be received by 30 January 2019.