Implementing partner: IndoAgri group
Other partners: RSPO
Targeted volume/area: 318 ha
Target: Establishment of a baseline and internal capacity
Project duration: N.A
The Sustainable Smallholder Program aims at Increasing smallholder productivity and traceability in order to reduce deforestation rates.
Challenges & Opportunities
In 2015, increasing productivity and traceability presented the driving rationale to reduce deforestation rates. Within the same year, IDH recognized that substantial changes in governance and a reduction of the opportunity costs for not engaging in deforestation are requisites (along with increasing productivity and traceability) for the programs success.
Key Project KPIs:
- Number of smallholders trained in palm oil GAP: 1,150
- Number of hectares certified/verified sustainable: 318
- Change in smallholder productivity: 20%
- Number of farmers in effective farmer organisations: 300
- Proportion of mills linked to a monitoring or verification system: 100%
Wider benefits/global impact claim:
Apart from increasing productivity of smallholders already cultivating palm oil, this program aims at indirectly reducing deforestation rates and increasing the quantity of sustainably produced palm oil.