IDH CEO, Daan Wensing, presented on 27 July 2021 at the UN Food Systems Pre-Summit© IDH
At IDH – the Sustainable Trade Initiative, we bring all the parties in a value chain – public, private, but also civil society and knowledge institutions – to find the solutions together because we know that with incremental change we won’t get there.
It’s important to recognize that none of us has a magic wand. We can’t just solve the problem instantly. It really works by being together and by sharing. If we want to make the transition successful, we really need to move to a pre-competitive space.
On the inequality and equality of the system, it is crucial that we work on living income and living wage, because that is what is needed, also linked to the elements on biodiversity.
We can’t protect our planet if people still don’t earn a living income and a living wage, and honestly speaking, that is only the beginning for them to move to real sustainable livelihoods.
Therefore we are launching another initiative co-led by the World Business Council Sustainable Development on living wage and living income to get there by 2030 for all the workers and the smallholders throughout the entire supply chain.
We urge not only the private sector but also governments, civil society and knowledge institutions to join forces and make this transition a reality.
Speakers and Panel
- Gerda Verburg, Global Coordinator of the Scaling Up Nutrition
- Mark Schneider, CEO, Nestle
- Wiebe Draijer, Chairman of the Managing Board, Rabobank
- Ramon Laguarta, CEO, PepsiCo
- Emmanuel Faber, Former President and CEO Danone, Chair OP2B (VIRTUAL)
- Hanneke Faber, President of Foods & Refreshment, Unilever
- Daan Wensing, Chief Executive Officer, IDH
- Cherrie Atilano, Founding Farmer, President and CEO, Agrea
- Gilbert Houngbo, President, IFAD
- Rick White, Chair of the International Agri-Food Network (IAFN)
- Peter Bakker, President and CEO, WBCSD