IDH has been operating in Brazil since 2009 developing programs in soybean, cotton, coffee, timber and from 2015, incorporated beef into its landscape approach in the states of Mato Grosso, Pará, and Maranhão.
In order to achieve our sustainable development objectives, we have defined 5 cross-cutting impact themes in all our interventions. They facilitate learning and the exchange of experiences between our partners and create major changes in the areas that need it most: sectoral governance, business practices and sustainability in the field.
We connect the interests of companies, governments, local communities, financiers, and investors by establishing governance models through our Production, Conservation and Inclusion (PCI) Strategy.
Our Program in Brazil aims to reduce deforestation by creating better land use for the production of sustainable commodities and connection with buyer markets. For this, we have developed pilots using the Verified Sourcing Areas (VSA) model.
Where we work
Green Growth Plans
GGP’s formalize, on a jurisdictional level, long-term commitments that include land-use plans and policies to reduce deforestation and increasing reforestation, while intensifying agricultural production.
Produce, Conserve and Include (PCI) State Strategy – PCI Institute
The PCI Strategy aims to improve territorial governance in the states of Mato Grosso, Pará, and Maranhão by consolidating long-term coalitions with robust governance and transparency mechanisms.
Through our landscape program in Brazil, we support the government of Mato Grosso’s ambitious green growth strategy, PCI. In Mato Grosso, this strategy was announced at the Paris COP21, 2015, and plans to increase agricultural production and efficiency; conserve remaining natural vegetation; and improve the socioeconomic inclusivity of smallholder farmers and local communities by 2030.
- Recover 2.5M ha of degraded pasture and double kg/ha.
- Raise the productivity from 50 to 95kg/ha/year.
- Expand the areas of grains in areas of degraded pasture from 9,5 to 12,5 million ha.
- Raise the production of grains from 50 to 92 Mton.
- Expand the area under sustainable forest management from 2,8 to 6 million ha.
- Expand the planted forest areas in already opened areas from 317,000 to 800 mil ha.
- Increase timber production from 4,9 million m2 to 11,75 million m2.
- Maintain 60% of native vegetation coverage.
- 90% reduction of forest deforestation, using the baseline: 2001 – 2010 (PRODES) of 5714 km, reaching 571 km2 per year.
- 95% reduction in Cerrado deforestation using the baseline of 3016 km2 (SEMA), reaching 150 km2/year.
- Eradicate illegal deforestation.
- Conserve 1 million ha of areas that are likely to be legally deforested.
- Register 90% of the rural properties (CAR)
- Validate 100% of CAR declared
- Recompose 1 million ha (100%) of degraded APP
- Regulate 5,8 million ha (100%) of Legal Reserve, being 1,9 million ha by reconstitution.
Production and Inclusion in the Market:
- Expand Technical Assistance attendance and Rural Extension (ATER) or family farming from 30% to 100% of families.
- Increase the participation of smallholder farms in the internal market from 20% to 70%.
- Accelerate the participation of smallholder farm products in al institutional markets from 15% to 30%.
- Increase the access to credit from R$ 411 million to R$ 1,3 billion/year.
- Implement land regularization with 70% of farming families.
PCI Regional Compacts
PCI Regional Compacts are joint agreements and action plans on a landscape level between public, private, civil society and community stakeholders to enhance the sustainability and productivity of land and secure forest protection.
In addition to supporting the green growth strategy at state level, we work at the municipality level to link beef and soy production to forest protection. This also ensures the inclusion of smallholder farmers in the value chain and stems from our core approach of Production, Protection and Inclusion (PPI).
In a PPI compact, public and private stakeholders agree on a land-use plan through which to achieve the sustainability targets set by PCI. We focus on five regions in the states of Mato Grosso, Pará, and Maranhão in order to attract investment and to develop PCI Compacts.
Territorial Manager, Brazil
Agri3 Project Consultant
Latam Learning Sharing and Communication Specialist
Marcela Marques Pereira
Senior Program Officer
Global Carbon Finance Specialist and Senior Investment Manager IDH Brazil
Senior Program Manager
|Cartilha Queimadas 2021 – CAT Sorriso||Brochure||2021||Latin American||Landscapes Program|
|IDH 2020 Annual Report: Sustainable Business Models Delivering Impact||Annual Report||2021||-||-|
|Programa de Microfinanças da Agricultura Familiar de Sorriso (Fundo de Aval)||Other publications||2021||-||-|
|Case Study: Creating PCI Compacts in Mato Grosso||Case Study||2021||-||-|
|MoU Pacto PCI de Balsas e Região||Commitment||2020||-||-|
|MoU Balsas PPI Compact_eng||Commitment||2020||-||-|
No publications found.